Discuss Moving the drop higher on mast in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I do not want to remove the limb. Am I right to worry that the insulation on the line will be damaged by movement due to wind?
Yes, it will damage the cable and cause you problems if not fixed. Not just to the cables, it might start a fire with the tree if dry, etc.

But listen to @Megawatt 's advice and contact the supply company - he is one of the well-regarded USA members of this (predominantly UK) electrical forum so knows the rules applying to your situation better than any of us.

I do not want to remove the limb. Am I right to worry that the insulation on the line will be damaged by movement due to wind?
why not? unlike us pathetic humans, trees benefit from amputations of the occasional limbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
tHE IMAGE, i must be drunk the picture has two wires entering the camera this is a false image...

It's not a camera. It's a power company pole with what I assume is phase and neutral going down it.

It's not a camera. It's a power company pole with what I assume is phase and neutral going down it.
but did you also notice the choc block connectors wrapped in tape? seems the UK bodgers don't have exclusive rights to this method.

@Megawatt will know, but I suspect it is two line and a CNE (so 120V - 0 - 120V TN-C-S with the C/S separation done in the consumer's CU, unlike UK where it is the DNO cut-out), and I guess a pair of Earth rods somewhere in the grounds of the property.

@Megawatt will know, but I suspect it is two line and a CNE (so 120V - 0 - 120V TN-C-S with the C/S separation done in the consumer's CU, unlike UK where it is the DNO cut-out), and I guess a pair of Earth rods somewhere in the grounds of the property.
@pc1966 you sound like you have worked over here before and yes we use 2 earth rods. I’m proud of you ??

It turns out that here in southern California the line from the pole to the house is the responsibility of the customer so I am going to slide the clamp up the mast 8". That should clear the limb. Thank you all for the help.

It turns out that here in southern California the line from the pole to the house is the responsibility of the customer so I am going to slide the clamp up the mast 8". That should clear the limb. Thank you all for the help.
and as the tree grows, another 8" next year. eventually cable could be in sub-space orbit. ???

Reply to Moving the drop higher on mast in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net