Discuss new part p document.... thoughts. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

fylthespider

just read the new part p.
got link from napit.

anyone else read it?

main difference is the reduction in whats notifiable.

new circuits, CU changes, and work in bathrooms.
o yeah, and 'third party certification' (whatever the hell thats going to mean).

i know there was input from sparks and scam providers (i filled in 2 or 3 questionaires )
but IMO looks like they ignored me/us.

looks like anyone can now 'alter' work in kitchens, gardens, and god knows what else with impunity.

am i just being pessimistic or does this look like a serious watering down of part p?

cheers

This goverment are watering down all this sort of stuff they call it cutting red tape. They would have a good working system if they inforced the law as it is.

It was a well intentioned load of old tosh when it was introduced and it's going to be a well intentioned watered down load of old tosh when the amendment takes force. None of it has detered a single cowboy and it still won't. Third party certification, don't make me laugh.
I'm glad I don't need to jump through the hoop.

just occured to me the scams must be p***ed.
when the kitchen fitters and plumber realise they only have to do minor extension work to comply they wont be going on £1000 limited scope courses.
same for pv installers,

ho ho ho.

Think it will mean more people will do work and with cuts in building control their will be even less chance of getting a fine.

you know, for the life of me i carn't think of a mule joke.
plenty of noddy and big ears jokes but no mules.

think i might quit the comp person scheme next year. just do a lot more minor works.

you know, for the life of me i carn't think of a mule joke
My donkey joke (Well mules are a bit like donkeys)

A little lad comes home from school crying. His dad asks him what the problem is, he replies "One of the boys at school keeps calling me a donkey"
"Why does he call you a donkey son?" asks his dad.
"I don't know dad" says the boy "but he haw he haw he hawlways calls me it"

ha ha, donkey, mule... close enough.
pass me my ten gallon hat and a pair of stilsons. i can do gas work too.

sorry, 3 pints of speckled hen, one to go.

Might as well just abandon notifying anything now, as a third party my wife can now be involved, a pointless part of the building regs, whats the point, hi-ho tonto :24:

Yes sounds like it might be the end of the scams coming.

not a mule joke but an amusing story

was on a trek once in Nepal. There were two pretty, but naive Autralian girls too. Someone questioned what a mule was.

so one of the Aussie girls piped up (with the antipidean way of ending each sentence with a slightly higher tone than the rest if it) -

"Well, a mule, is, like, when a donkey, makes love, to a horse"
Of course I burst out laughing on hearing this and said (rather too mockingly)

"makes love? Does the horse kiss the donkey? Do you know what the definition of making love is"?

so she says "no but I think you're going to tell me"

so I say

"its something a woman does while a man's f!*king her"

fortunately for me she didnt speak to me again.

Next year,it could be a grand idea,instead of doing a full rewire,just do some minor works, replace existing cables with new where necessary (thats everywhere to you and me) do some maintenance on that consumer unit whilst your there,may as well give it a good overall, change all the parts and for good measure, the enclosure its housed in as well,the old earthing and bonding cables could do with some minor works as well
Just stick to minor works like these and ditch the scams :yes:

Regrettfully leave those notifiable jobs and part pants to A N others

Well considering the changes to part 'P', the changes to my scam provider (ELECSA) and the inability of government and LABC representatives to find their backsides in the dark using both hands; I think the main change for me next year will be a £500:00 reduction in my overheads. I'll still carry out the same work, I'll still do it to the same standard, and I'll still issue the same paperwork to the customer.

Every cloud .... etc

Regrettfully leave those notifiable jobs and part pants to A N others

To be honest I won't even do that, I'll do the notifyable work as before. Even presuming someone somewhere has been brought to book, the fine is probably less than a year's membership anyway. I think it's time that the scam providers formed and ordely que, pucker up and make ready to kiss my ......

apparantly electrical notifications are at their lowest level since the introduction of part p.
just thought a few of you might find that snippet of info of interest.
funny how the nic "forgot" to mention this statistic when trumpeting their latest scheme with the eca.
anyone would think i was cynical. ;-)

Whereas I would welcome the extra £500 in my pocket by not having to pay my scheme provider a good proportion of my work is tied to the provider via a third party and it is still a growth area and getting bigger. Until I can replace that work with purely 'private' work I am stuck.

On a different note, have I interpreted the new doc correctly by thinking that with regard to 'rooms containing sink, bath, shower' that only work within the zones is notifiable and not within the room as a whole?

I can't see the day when we see the end of scheme providers. The honest among us, and they are many, will always play by the rules even if we don't like or agree with them.

Ho hum...oh, Merry Christmas and a lucrative New Year to all.

Rob

Its still pretty complicated and another one of my books is out of date, (so soon)

Just need to figure out what to do about responding to a third party sign off request.

What should i charge ?

Do i even risk it ?

Reply to new part p document.... thoughts. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net