Discuss offgrid electrical connection using generators and battery to run a house in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A small generator (even with AVR) supplying a UPS and then your home is not a good solution because the UPS monitors the voltage and frequency of the generator supply to decide whether to switch over to battery power; the UPS will forever be switching between generator and battery to supply your home as loads are started and stopped. Far better to use an off-grid hybrid inverter which integrates in one equipment an inverter, a large capacity battery charger (and some an input for solar panels). Use the inverter to provide you with a higher quality mains supply than available from the generator and employ the generator only to charge the battery. With this scheme one buys an hybrid inverter with a higher power rating to do both the light and heavy duty power supply; the generator can be smaller in power but runs for longer and at a constant speed to charge the battery. Explore inverter generators for the generator role which are quieter and more economical to run. Always buy a Honda engined generator and run on LPG not petrol.

Honda EU22i LPG Propane Door Mounted Dual Fuel 2 | Honda Engines and Generators | Gear GB - http://www.geargb.co.uk/product/5000-HOND2-19002/Honda_EU22i_LPG_Propane_Door_Mounted_Dual_Fuel_2.2kw_Generator

I have used these:

1. Charger and inverter:

2. Hybrid charger, inverter and solar controller:

Don't buy an inverter/charger without an information display.

Last edited:
A small generator (even with AVR) supplying a UPS and then your home is not a good solution because the UPS monitors the voltage and frequency of the generator supply to decide whether to switch over to battery power; the UPS will forever be switching between generator and battery to supply your home as loads are started and stopped. Far better to use an off-grid hybrid inverter which integrates in one equipment an inverter, a large capacity battery charger and input for solar panels. Use the inverter to provide you with a higher quality mains supply than available from the generator and employ the generator only to charge the battery. With this scheme one buys an hybrid inverter with a higher power rating to do both the light and heavy duty power supply; the generator can be smaller in power but runs for longer and at a constant speed to charge the battery. Explore inverter generators for the generator role which are quieter and more economical to run.

I have used these:

1. Charger and inverter:

Great thanks!
A small generator (even with AVR) supplying a UPS and then your home is not a good solution because the UPS monitors the voltage and frequency of the generator supply to decide whether to switch over to battery power; the UPS will forever be switching between generator and battery to supply your home as loads are started and stopped. Far better to use an off-grid hybrid inverter which integrates in one equipment an inverter, a large capacity battery charger (and some an input for solar panels). Use the inverter to provide you with a higher quality mains supply than available from the generator and employ the generator only to charge the battery. With this scheme one buys an hybrid inverter with a higher power rating to do both the light and heavy duty power supply; the generator can be smaller in power but runs for longer and at a constant speed to charge the battery. Explore inverter generators for the generator role which are quieter and more economical to run. Always buy a Honda engined generator and run on LPG not petrol.

Honda EU22i LPG Propane Door Mounted Dual Fuel 2 | Honda Engines and Generators | Gear GB - http://www.geargb.co.uk/product/5000-HOND2-19002/Honda_EU22i_LPG_Propane_Door_Mounted_Dual_Fuel_2.2kw_Generator

I have used these:

1. Charger and inverter:

Thanks again, what is the advantage of light?

All this living free and off grid sounds lovely and sweet but in reality the cost of not only purchasing but also installing and commissioning (setting up) then the added cost of running this for 12 month or more coupled with the cost of running a generator for this amount of time in addition having to compromise on usage and having a lottery as to whether or not the family has left you any hot water for cleaning your self after a hard days graft far out ways the 2k required for a "on grid" constant, stable, cheaper source of power.
There is also the fact that once your home is built would all this equipment ever be required again and you will find that you are having to pay out the 2 k for the big house anyhow.
Why not take a look at your plans and the small building that you will be living temporarily in build that in a way that will when project complete be part of the finished product sat a double garage with loft space, build that section first and have the supply and metering installed in such a way that can be modified without moving at a later date. or maybe in its own purpose built metering shed somewhere on the fringe of the land which will then service you temp property by way of armoured cable and then the permanent property by way of another separate cable.

All this living free and off grid sounds lovely and sweet but in reality the cost of not only purchasing but also installing and commissioning (setting up) then the added cost of running this for 12 month or more coupled with the cost of running a generator for this amount of time in addition having to compromise on usage and having a lottery as to whether or not the family has left you any hot water for cleaning your self after a hard days graft far out ways the 2k required for a "on grid" constant, stable, cheaper source of power.
There is also the fact that once your home is built would all this equipment ever be required again and you will find that you are having to pay out the 2 k for the big house anyhow.
Why not take a look at your plans and the small building that you will be living temporarily in build that in a way that will when project complete be part of the finished product sat a double garage with loft space, build that section first and have the supply and metering installed in such a way that can be modified without moving at a later date. or maybe in its own purpose built metering shed somewhere on the fringe of the land which will then service you temp property by way of armoured cable and then the permanent property by way of another separate cable.
That's an interesting idea, I dont think ive seen a
purpose-built metering shed around here.

but I will make it my business to ask some utility installers to see what they say.
Thanks very much!

Reply to offgrid electrical connection using generators and battery to run a house in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net