Discuss Part P scams in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Skyba

Hi, I'm a fully qualified spark and I've been working "self employed" through agencies for a while now and I'm getting sick and tired of being self employed but feeling as if I'm on the cards being told when I can and can't leave and when I can and can't take time off all to then be pumped with an hours notice when no longer needed. And I won't even start in the leaching agencies and payment companies we have to put up with.

Anyway to get to the main point I've been looking into going it alone and have been looking at getting my 2391 (2394/5 as its called now) and registering with a scam but I need to build up a client base first and get the word around and was wondering if there's anyone who's decided not to go to scam and registers their own work with building control? Is this a costly/time consuming process or is it easy enough to make a scam unnecessary if your just setting up?

any help would be much appreciated.

go for it. start with small, non-notifiable jobs, then as you build it up, consider joining a scam.

You can register your work with building control (but only if it is required and the amount required has reduced significantly). It will normally mean you would have to price yourself out of the job as it can be expensive, however do check with your local council (if you can get any sense out of them) and see what is possible. They should have a list of their standard charges on their planning website somewhere.
For non-notifiable jobs, go ahead, if you are competent.

Cheers for the info, on a completely different note, has anyone used IDEAL MFT's my brother has them at his factory and his spark swears by it, has all the functions of a top notch fluke apart from Bluetooth but they're only £350

Cheers for the info, on a completely different note, has anyone used IDEAL MFT's my brother has them at his factory and his spark swears by it, has all the functions of a top notch fluke apart from Bluetooth but they're only £350

Think you'll find these meters are now discontinued. I looked around a fair bit for one and ended up with a Metrel. Quite impressed!!!

Am I right in thinking work can now be notified through a 3rd party? Could you not on big jobs bring in somebody you know to work with and sign it off.
Might mean less of a profit but further down the line with being more financially better off, get complient yourself and then go on your own.

Am I right in thinking work can now be notified through a 3rd party? Could you not on big jobs bring in somebody you know to work with and sign it off.
Might mean less of a profit but further down the line with being more financially better off, get complient yourself and then go on your own.

No, the Government have relaxed the processes BUT none of the schemes have anything in place to make if work. That said I'm not going to be signing off anyone else's work - why would you.

You need to build a client base and if you regularly have to get LABC in to test what does it say about you?

thats as of next year but techley you are dling a pir on it

I thought that came in with these April changes, thats what my LBC said when I rang up last month about somthing, if the know there arse form their elbow.
Not really just doing a PIR if doing a full rewire, always helpfull having a second pair of hands to get through it?

No, the Government have relaxed the processes BUT none of the schemes have anything in place to make if work. That said I'm not going to be signing off anyone else's work - why would you.

You need to build a client base and if you regularly have to get LABC in to test what does it say about you?

No I wouldnt do that, that would do us all out of money and work if people did that.
You want to look as professional as possible but have to admit this Part P game is as murky as a London 1950's pea souper!!

I thought that came in with these April changes, thats what my LBC said when I rang up last month about somthing, if the know there arse form their elbow.
Not really just doing a PIR if doing a full rewire, always helpfull having a second pair of hands to get through it?

whats a PIR

another unnecessarry change and as for the 3rd party I&T hasnt come in yet even though it was supposed to be in line with the new PART P doc coming out , schemes arent providing this due to providing warranties and who would be responsible for what
A complete load of tosh
Part p was supposed to be reducing the burden on sparks all its done is made it easier again for rogues whilst charging us a small fortune for what

To the Op If you are already Qualified and experienced then join a scheme get some work then go for the 2394- 95
as long as you have 17th edition qual do it now as they should have changed the registration requirments
soon you will need NVQ lv3 or A new QS qual thats also coming out more changes more mess
If you have technical cert or similar / apprenticeship they will let you in jsut need a working knowledge of the regs and building regs recent work to show all certificated correctly , 2 million PLI, calibrated tester, BS7671, OSG, Part P doc

they will send you a pack if you contact them with all the info for whats required

you shouldnt have a problem with your experience

another unnecessarry change and as for the 3rd party I&T hasnt come in yet even though it was supposed to be in line with the new PART P doc coming out , schemes arent providing this due to providing warranties and who would be responsible for what
A complete load of tosh
Part p was supposed to be reducing the burden on sparks all its done is made it easier again for rogues whilst charging us a small fortune for what

To the Op If you are already Qualified and experienced then join a scheme get some work then go for the 2394- 95
as long as you have 17th edition qual do it now as they should have changed the registration requirments
soon you will need NVQ lv3 or A new QS qual thats also coming out more changes more mess
If you have technical cert or similar / apprenticeship they will let you in jsut need a working knowledge of the regs and building regs recent work to show all certificated correctly , 2 million PLI, calibrated tester, BS7671, OSG, Part P doc

they will send you a pack if you contact them with all the info for whats required

you shouldnt have a problem with your experience

thanks for the info, I spoke to a few scams about the changes but they don't really effect me as I have an NVQ3, I was looking more at napit than niceic as they will cover you for commercial and industrial at no extra cost if you are a gold carded spark yet niceic charge a fortune for an approved contractor, not that I'll be doing much ind/commercial stuff as I've kinda had my fill for a while but it's always nice to be able to a bit here and there.

thanks for the info, I spoke to a few scams about the changes but they don't really effect me as I have an NVQ3, I was looking more at napit than niceic as they will cover you for commercial and industrial at no extra cost if you are a gold carded spark yet niceic charge a fortune for an approved contractor, not that I'll be doing much ind/commercial stuff as I've kinda had my fill for a while but it's always nice to be able to a bit here and there.

Was unaware of napit being full scope may have to look into this further as I was looking into elecsa for part p as I've heard good things about them

Reply to Part P scams in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net