Discuss phone charger for use in a bathroom. Is there such a thing? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Thanks for everyone’s suggestions.
I’m going with a 2 port euro module similar to the mk one mentioned earlier.

Just need a nice long lightning cable so I can charge my phone and play games on it while sitting on the throne.

Do look back at the thread. The MK module is one of the few SELV USB products.
Cheaper ones may not have this essential safety feature and are not permitted in bathrooms.

Just thinking. I use a fitbit, and I got into the habit of charging it every few days when I had a shower. (charging it every few days, not having a shower every few days!:rolleyes:)

Is there something i can use inside the bathroom to give me a standard 5v USB socket?

Of course you can get a single socket with a usb in it, but cant use that in the bathroom.
Could I take a supply from the shaver socket, but would it have to come from the output side of the transformer?
Could I use a regular plug in usb charger with European pins and plug it into the shaver socket?

Any thoughts?
Or bin the fitbit get trainers run till your knackered, walk back , you know like we did in the old days

Be careful using shaver sockets. They have very poor regulation and can go up to around 280v on very low load such as a phone charger. If your charger is rated 100 to 240v use the 110v socket which on low load is around 130v.

Just for the sake of the thread. The MK module mentioned has ‘don’t install in a bathroom’ in the MI despite the SELV rating.

Found while my electrician was working through my new refurb spec!

Just for the sake of the thread. The MK module mentioned has ‘don’t install in a bathroom’ in the MI despite the SELV rating.

Found while my electrician was working through my new refurb spec!

interesting, probably due to high moisture levels corroding the internals.
more a warrenty issue than a safety issue I expect.
but if the MI says no then,
it is unsuitable for that use.

interesting, probably due to high moisture levels corroding the internals.
more a warrenty issue than a safety issue I expect.
but if the MI says no then,
it is unsuitable for that use.
Exactly that. Missed opportunity with most new small rechargeable everythings being USB now. I noticed that the new model toothbrushes are usb with a ‘British bit’ added In the box to allow for our old fashioned 2 pin use.

I have changed the spec to a shaving light with USB (Ansell).
[automerge]1574697697[/automerge]
Even this has MI that state not to place any item being charged on top! It’s IP20 re zones too.

So my solution to this issue of USB was easy and compliant. All compliant shaver sockets support UK Shaver (not same pin spacing as euro socket) and US socket (. Which is the same as standard US).

So, buy a USA mains to USB adapter, as I have, and it works just great, and is isolated by the shaver socket transformer. You do have to plug into the 110v socket. I also found that plugging into this locks out using the 240v at the same time just in case you were thinking USB and Shaver/Toothbrush !!

Ended up reading through this resurrected thread and the MK module seems perfect in most respects, even having isolation on the AC side when nothing is plugged in so no IR test issues and no wasted power.

Minor problem is the instructions say "Suitable for fixed installation in dry interior locations only" so I guess a toilet is fine, but not with bath/shower present?

Surely wearing it on the shower is better? I mean it's an ideal chance to check yourself over and as we know one thing leads to another, it'll improve your step count drastically...

Reply to phone charger for use in a bathroom. Is there such a thing? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock