Discuss PIR considerations on residential/rental properties in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Steve D

Hi All,

I’ve been asked to do a PIR on a house that has been converted to 3 bedsits. I’ve only ever done PIRs on regular domestic premises before, not residential.

I know for a fact that it’s got a fire alarm system. I have seen on another older thread that my PIR should only cover the fixed wiring feeding the alarm panel – is that correct ?

Are there requirements (I’m assuming building regs) for wired smoke alarms ? And if so, would they be interconnected to the fire alarm panel or separate ?

Also, are there requirements for emergency lighting in such installations ? I don’t think there are any existing.

The house is in a complete mess at the moment, with cables hanging down from ceilings and also some live unprotected cables poking out of the walls, so there’s plenty of remedials required to get it safe and up to scratch, but I wanted to get a heads up on specific requirements for rental premises.

If you guys have any other pointers then it would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Steve

Your quire right the PIR is just for the cable supplying the alarm system, a the fire alarm PIR is covered under BS 5839-6 for dwellings and advise you not get involved with that unless you feel competant to do so.

Part B of the building Regs will give you a regulations concerning the type of fire system that is needed, but as you are only concerend with the PIR for the electrical installation then the system is beyond your remit.

Your biggest concern will be those obvious code 1's that are going to be on the PIR, you have to rate it unsatifactory and should not issue the PIR while there are outstanding code 1's as these are classed as "required urgent attention". In fact if you already know these faults before you start the PIR then negotiate with the landlord to rectify them first and then do the PIR once you are satisfied that most obvious faults are remedy. Obviously that dosen't preclude the chance of finding more faults once testing starts.

You need to be careful -you can end up almost providing a fire risk assessment here when you probably aren't competent/insured to give such advice.
You should treat the PIR and remedial works as two separate issues, complete the PIR, then discuss the defects and what remedials will be neccessary.
In this case, I would make mention in a covering letter that the fire detection and emergency lighting have not been part of your inspection.

That's exactly the route I was considering.

Initial PIR to highlight all the issues, then minor works cert for each circuit I work on to get the installation up to scratch, then a subsequent PIR which hopefully should pass.

Fire alarm system will be discussed and noted as a 'limitation'.

Cheers
Steve

Just remember Steve if you start that PIR before those bare wires are dealt with, you are then obliged to advise the landlord, that he must take without delay action to remedy those faults or to isolate the circuits to make them safe. When you start the PIR you become responsible for that installation.

Both Baal and I agree that they should be 2 different jobs and prices negotiated as such for the Repairs and the PIR, I would just do the repairs before the PIR is started, as you found those faults on a survey.

Reply to PIR considerations on residential/rental properties in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net