Discuss Please help with fusebox wiring in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

matt1980

Hi guys, I have been an apprentice electrician for only a few months so know very little, although I am very enthusiastic and wanting to learn, which brings me to here.

A good friend of mine has a few properties which he rents out.
Unfortunately the police have been and raided one of them and found a cannabis factory inside the house, in the spare bedroom.

Now the thing is, the room where this was all going on, was using no electric at all !

Now im wondering if I coulod help him out by getting it all back to normal for him and save him a bit of cash as the room is totally wrecked.

But I dont understand how its been done ?

Ive heard of people totally bypassing electric meters alltogether, but it sounds asif they have bypassed just 1 circuit (obviously the room where they were doing there thing, and where most electric was been used) and left the rest alone, maybe not to cause any suspision ?

If anybody could help me out here it would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
this is where a photo of the intake , meter, and CU with it's cover off , is essential to determine what has been done.

Hi matt, welcome along to the forum.
To be honest mate if you have only been doing this for a couple of months then I suggest you give this a bit of a wide berth on your own as this will probably be quite a dangerous set up. Is there any way that you could ask one of the guys your working with to pop in and have a look to show you the correct way to remedy this while you observe?

Thanks for the welcome guys.

I will try get a picture of the board etc..

Dan - I probably could do that yes, I was hoping it was just a common thing that might be a case of swapping a few wires around in the CU to get things back to normal, as you say, maybe its a bit too much for me at the minute, although I would like to know how they have done it for future reference :)

Thank you

If they were using the electric for free then they would have had to by-pass the meter, so I'm actually surprised that the police didn't get the dno Involved as the would be the ones to isolate supply to the meter and disconnect the offending circuit. Could you not as tel suggested stick a photo up.
We all like to tr and do our mates a good turn, that's why were mates but jus don't go putting urself or anyone in danger if you are unsure

although I would like to know how they have done it for future reference

So would I Matt
icon12.png

Dans advise is spot on,any alterations wont have had the safety of occupants at its heart

Thorough knowledge of installations is needed to see what has been going on,
so its best that you shy away for now

Thanks guys, ill have to go over to his and get some pics up for you guys.

Dan- thats the thing I dont understand.
I totally get the thing about bypassing the meter, but it seems asif this hasnt been done.

It seems asif only 1 circuit in the house ( the upstairs ring main) has been bypassed, every other circuit seems to be normal and makes the meter spin when appliances are turned on.

I actually went into the room that was been used, and put a kettle on, aswell as a load of lights, the tv, any many other things, while a friend of mine watched the meter, and it didnt change at all when the appliances were turned on.

Hope that makes sense

Thanks again

i would'nt be surprised if you will come across a very long length of cable connected to either next doors leccy or rigged up to the lamp post outside.

Thanks guys, ill have to go over to his and get some pics up for you guys.

Dan- thats the thing I dont understand.
I totally get the thing about bypassing the meter, but it seems asif this hasnt been done.

It seems asif only 1 circuit in the house ( the upstairs ring main) has been bypassed, every other circuit seems to be normal and makes the meter spin when appliances are turned on.

I actually went into the room that was been used, and put a kettle on, aswell as a load of lights, the tv, any many other things, while a friend of mine watched the meter, and it didnt change at all when the appliances were turned on.

Hope that makes sense

Thanks again
caus what they may have done here is either isolate the upstairs ring and then "backfeed" it using a plugtop into an outlet being fed from whatever the`v rigged up at the head.....or they`v gon straight into the ring final as it comes out of the MCB...(using the MCB terminal as a "joint"...)........

Last edited:
There are a number of ways to outwit the metering that is best not discussed

There are always ways and means for the fiddlers
Next door could have a surprise fior the next billing period
icon7.png

Saw where I was coming from there kenny
These guys do this all the time, genius little ways so not to arouse suspision on a meter read. Could be a dodgy little joint n the tails behind the meter board, drilled the back of the meter board and tucked it up behind the tail into the meter so not easily spotted, the list is endless lol

Sorry it is a detatched house.

Wow, a few of the comments above have lost me already haha

I was thinking they may have swapped some wires round here and there, obviously theres more to it than that lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I could put a drawing of a meter fiddle that works but I won’t.

Look at the service head to meter tails. I think you’ll find a tap off

Not that I know anything about this subject.

Pure as the driven snow I am Sire, that’s me Sire, that’s me, that it is true!

Reply to Please help with fusebox wiring in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net