Discuss Pricing a Re-wire in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

phil cook

Hi All

I recently Qualified as a domestic Electrical Installer, I achieved my 2382, 2377 and awaiting my EAL certificate, I decided to try it "on my own" after several tried and failed job interviews and applications. I have had a few small jobs, Moving sockets, changing light fittings etc.

I have just been contacted and asked to Quote 2 jobs, the first is to supply and fit a new consumer unit, outside feed to bottom of garden and a new cooker point in kitchen, The second is a full re-wire, I am struggling with how you would start to price these, Obviously I have not been tolook at either job yet but wondered if there is a pricing guidline?? i,e, So much per socket/light switch, so much per metre of cable inc clips etc. Do you put a certain amount in for petrol costs etc etc, Obviously I dont want to over-qoute and lose the job but also dont want to come in too cheap as that will be expected for every future job.

I have not registered with a governing body purely due to the cost and not having the work for them to come and check.

Any info will be greatly recieved

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
or use the rewire as assessment then notify through the scam provider after.

Hi All

I recently Qualified as a domestic Electrical Installer and decided to try it "on my own" after several tried and failed job interviews and applications. I have had a few small jobs, Moving sockets, changing light fittings etc.

I have just been contacted and asked to Quote 2 jobs, the first is to supply and fit a new consumer unit, outside feed to bottom of garden and a new cooker point in kitchen, The second is a full re-wire, I am struggling with how you would start to price these, Obviously I have not been tolook at either job yet but wondered if there is a pricing guidline?? i,e, So much per socket/light switch, so much per metre of cable inc clips etc. Do you put a certain amount in for petrol costs etc etc, Obviously I dont want to over-qoute and lose the job but also dont want to come in too cheap as that will be expected for every future job.

I have not registered with a governing body purely due to the cost and not having the work for them to come and check.

Thank you

If you do not know the answers to these questions then are you sure you should be "Going Alone"? Everyone has different methods of pricing jobs, and it basically comes down to experience and knowledge in the field.

How much real life experience do you have?

A rewire is by no means a simple thing, there are many many problems you are likely to encounter which you'll have learnt nothing about on the course...

I use to go on £40 a point, so 10 sockets, 10 lights, £800 - includes materials, time, travel and the like, its an all inclusive price. Some here will find that expensive, depends on what part of the world your in. Cambridgeshire i would say your safe to price between £35-40 per point. Always worked out fair for me and never had any negative feedback.

I would say however, if your new and still getting your feet under the table, taking on a re-wire solo is a SERIOUS mistake. You won't hit target time deadlines, you inevitably hit issues you wouldn't perceive upon initial surveys, it's a lot of work to accomplish on your own let alone being new to the game, some jobs just need a second pair of hands, simple as that. I would suggest you re-consider diving head first into a full re-wire, and if you get the job, have your paper work perfect, - DO NOT lift a tool in anger until you have a contract of works written out and signed by the customer outlining every tiny detail about the job, i made this mistake, ended up in court and month and months of ball ache trying to get my money out of the scrotum who decided not to pay.

As already said, change your own board, get to grips with that side of things, and search for an experienced helping hand to help out with the re-wire if you get it. You'll need it mate.

best of luck

Other thing to insist on in writing, is a nice empty house...

Did a lighting circuit a while back and it took 3 times longer than it should, due to the amount of clutter in the house.

Was for a friend so it wasn't a problem, if it had been a normal client I'd have walked away.

I have enquired with local building control and they're cheaper than first thought, I like to think I have good real life experience, I thank you all for your comments, it seems i have some thinking to do, lol

Hi All

I recently Qualified as a domestic Electrical Installer, I achieved my 2382, 2377 and awaiting my EAL certificate, I decided to try it "on my own" after several tried and failed job interviews and applications. I have had a few small jobs, Moving sockets, changing light fittings etc.

Thank you

After debating, and deleting what ive wrote several times out fear that i may just get banned. I'll make it short...you can use the term Qualified very loosley, 5weeks is a joke - you need onsite experience as a mate and not to be going it alone straight away, with all due respect you know F all and you'll come unstuck very soon on a re-wire. Get a electricians mate job and learn the trade - it takes years and not weeks.

Saying that - you'll take 0 notice of what i've just said, so good luck.

Apologies if you've been working as an electricians mate for the past Xamount of years -so this will mean you do have some understanding - if this is the case, you should of included it in your post.

You do not mention anything in your post about practical experience that you have in this industry?

Forgive me if I'm totally wrong but 2382 taught you how to work your way around a book and 2377 taught you PAT.

If I were you and you wanted to go for the rewire I'd suggest you get an experienced sparky to work with you or else you could end up in a right mess. Its not that easy!

Price the material quantity,estimate the amount of man days that it will take,add on a percentage to cover the costs of self employment,insurance tax,fuel and vehicle, tools etc and there is your figure

How many rewires have you assisted with to date ?
it would possibly be necessary to have done at least, say, a hundred, before reaching up to the level of a solo job.thats especially so if the house is occupied and the system has to be constructed and running as the old is being replaced

Reply to Pricing a Re-wire in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net