Discuss Problem using forum - keep getting this message on my computer - anyone else ? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
"Hello All",

Last Night and Today I have been having problems using the Forum - I keep getting a message about the Forum running a `long script` - this means that Forum pages / threads will not load as normal - the message takes a couple of minutes to display as my Computer is obviously `waiting` for the Forum pages / threads to change - I then have to click onto `Stop Script` and the Forum page / thread changes / displays.

The message reads: `electriciansforums.net is not responding due to a long-running script`.

I tried to attach a screenshot of that banner message to this but as I have sometimes found on here I could not attach it.

Any other Members having this problem - ? I used to get this on the Argos website - it made it a real `Pain` to look for anything.

As the message actually identifies the Electricians Forum it is not a problem with My Computer / Windows 7 / Internet Explorer 9 [I tried IE 10 previously it did conflict with some items on my Computer].

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:
alright mate ment to get back to you about the radiators , the guy came back out and i told him i wanted the new radiators in the same place as the old ones , at the windows , i was all ready to hit him with all the advice you gave me and he just said thats fine i will re measure and change the order , didnt even ask y , think he was just trying his luck with the missus , typical council clown a feel sorry for all the old people he has convinced to put them behind doors just to make the job easier for them, thanks for your help

Can you try another browser like Opera and let me know if you still get the same problem? I know that other people have had problems with a buggy internet explorer update recently.

alright mate ment to get back to you about the radiators , the guy came back out and i told him i wanted the new radiators in the same place as the old ones , at the windows , i was all ready to hit him with all the advice you gave me and he just said thats fine i will re measure and change the order , didnt even ask y , think he was just trying his luck with the missus , typical council clown a feel sorry for all the old people he has convinced to put them behind doors just to make the job easier for them, thanks for your help

"Hello iamelectric",

Thanks for letting Me know about that - He obviously was `trying it on` - BUT this kind of behaviour is completely unacceptable when installing a Central Heating System !

The Local Authorities / Local Authority Building Control Departments should be adhering to the `Energy Efficiency` Regulations - obviously part of that would be siting the Radiators in an ``Energy Efficient` location within the Rooms !

Well done in getting the Radiators installed in the correct positions in the Rooms.

Regards,

Chris

Can you try another browser like Opera and let me know if you still get the same problem? I know that other people have had problems with a buggy internet explorer update recently.

"Hello Marvo",

Thank You very much for your very quick reply.

I am now writing this message having come to the Forum on Google Chrome - apart from the fact that I cannot find out how to enlarge the Reply Box / writing Text using this Browser - it is allowing Me to write in paragraphs - and I have not received the `long-running script` message as yet.

As I was not having any problems with any other website or Email writing it did not occur to Me that Internet Explorer 9 would be causing my problems on here.

I am going to attach the screenshot of the message that I mentioned in my other Post.

Thanks very much again Marvo.

Regards,

Chris

Attachments

• ELECTRICIANS FORUM - LONG RUNNING SCRIPT MESSAGE Capture.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 57
If the same problems aren't there in Chrome then it sounds fairly conclusively like it's an IE issue. I've never used Chrome so I can't suggest how you can resize the text box apart from maybe zooming the page using the mouse wheel whilst the Ctrl key is depressed.

Chris, to enlarge the reply box, go to the bottom right of the box, to the 3 little unequal lines, then drag the box larger.

If the same problems aren't there in Chrome then it sounds fairly conclusively like it's an IE issue. I've never used Chrome so I can't suggest how you can resize the text box apart from maybe zooming the page using the mouse wheel whilst the Ctrl key is depressed.

"Hello again Marvo",

I `spoke too soon` ! - I have just posted a message on another thread about a Sky Firmware Update removing the Power to RF2 Output on Sky Digi-boxes using Google Chrome - I went back into my message to try and make a small Edit - I could type the few words but when I `saved` it those words were not added.

I tried this 3 times - same result.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Perhaps this is just something that will correct itself - although I have had 3 separate `problems` Today - fitrstly the `long-running script` - then not being able to write in paragraphs / drop down a line when writing a message - then when Editing the added words do not appear.

Hopefully whatever is causing this will resolve itself - ?

I thought that I should post this so that You or another Moderator would be likely to see it - I did quickly look for a process to `Report` any malfunctions - Sorry if I missed that somewhere.

Regards,

Chris

Chris, to enlarge the reply box, go to the bottom right of the box, to the 3 little unequal lines, then drag the box larger.

"Hello telectrix",

Thanks for your reply about enlarging the message box - I did know about that - I did not word my comment correctly - when I come to the Forum in Google Chrome everything is showing much smaller than on Internet Explorer - when I typed the first message earlier using that Browser I had a job to SEE the words on the screen !

I should have explained that I would have liked to be able to enlarge the TEXT - not the Message Box.

Because Google Chrome takes up the whole screen there is no `View` facility as there is in Internet Explorer that you can use to enlarge the Screen View / Text to for example 125%.

I have overcome this by having to get a bit closer to the Computer Monitor Screen and turn more light on.
EDIT- I tried what Marvo suggested with the Control Key and Mouse wheel - this did help - I did not know about that function - "Thanks Marvo".

Thanks again for your reply - Sorry for the misunderstanding that I caused.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:
"Hello Dan",

I can send You a Private message - but the `Details` of the problems that I have had are contained in my original post on this thread and in my previous messages to Marvo about this.

I don`t think that I could explain anything further in an Email / Private message.

I have had problems using the Forum on Internet Explorer 9 and on Google Chrome.

Regards,

Chris

I'm having problems with this forum too.

Have - and am - using Chrome, Opera and Firefox and keep having to reload the page almost constantly.

Other forums (you know which one) and a Toyota MR2 forum are fine.

I'm having problems with this forum too.

Have - and am - using Chrome, Opera and Firefox and keep having to reload the page almost constantly.

Other forums (you know which one) and a Toyota MR2 forum are fine.

"Hello Geordie Spark", Thanks for your message - I wondered why there were no other Members replying to state that they were also having problems - at least your experiences mean that `I am not alone` ! Even now writing this message I cannot form paragraphs - I cannot drop down a line in order to do that. At present I have come to the Forum using Internet Explorer 9 and using the Link from the Forum notification about your Post / Message. Regards, Chris

"Hello Geordie Spark", Thanks for your message - I wondered why there were no other Members replying to state that they were also having problems - at least your experiences mean that `I am not alone` ! Even now writing this message I cannot form paragraphs - I cannot drop down a line in order to do that. At present I have come to the Forum using Internet Explorer 9 and using the Link from the Forum notification about your Post / Message. Regards, Chris

No problem Chris.

For what it's worth, from my pressing the "reply with quote" button to post this, it took almost 3 minutes to load to the point where I could start to type this.

I think we need to open the governor up a bit ............ ;)

"Hello Dan",

I can send You a Private message - but the `Details` of the problems that I have had are contained in my original post on this thread and in my previous messages to Marvo about this.

I don`t think that I could explain anything further in an Email / Private message.

I have had problems using the Forum on Internet Explorer 9 and on Google Chrome.

Regards,

Chris

"Hello again Dan",

I noticed that the Screenshot of the Windows error message on my previous message was attached too small to be able to read so I am [hopefully] attaching a larger Screenshot of it.

Regards,

Chris

Attachments

• ELECTRICIANS FORUM - WINDOWS ERROR MESSAGE ABOUT LONG_RUNNING SCRIPT Capture.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 20
"Hello again Dan",

I noticed that the Screenshot of the Windows error message on my previous message was attached too small to be able to read so I am [hopefully] attaching a larger Screenshot of it.

Regards,

Chris

Dunno about long running scripts, but we have a good many long running threads on here .........................

Reply to Problem using forum - keep getting this message on my computer - anyone else ? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net