Discuss Pulling cables in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
On a job today and couldnt lift the lovely sanded and varnished floorboards to get my cables in, pulled some in then was struggling to get rods between some brick supports and around corners.
Customers 10 year old kid has a remote control car with camera, said his camera will show me whats down there.
So down the hole goes the car,bit of string on the back of it and it worked surprisingly well. dealt with all the crap down there with ease as it has chunky track tyres on it.
I then tried it in a void under the kitchen and it is so much quicker than pushing rods through.

i have now decided to buy myself a remote control car with camera on, its cheaper at around £30 than that ferret cam that goes on the rods and may even get a really small one that fits in a 100mm hole.

Sometimes the simplest things make the biggest difference

any body else got innovative solutions to problems when working?

Already got one of them @Leesparkykent they are good and very useful but not so good when you need to go 90 degrees to the joists, its simply to big a piece of timber, that said I use mine all the time in stud walls and behind plaster board. I have gone the whole length of a house before using the gecko from front door where fuse board was along hallway to back door to run a cable for the out building. was lucky as joists were all in the right direction and was chip board floor panels. more than paid for itself.

ebay no for the car please!!! sounds brilliant

will be useful for putting in say a ceiling or under floor and also inspecting, if you think there is damage to a cable as shown by the IR test for example then this can show where, or if cables are in a jb without pulling the floorboards up. can pivot the camera on it too.
The kid today let me tie a bit of string on it as i was worried it would get lost, once the car was visible at other end i tied on cable and pulled through, it was good for the half hour I used it, he had an app on his tablet to control it via wifi.

I am glad reading your last post you tied a bit of string on as was going to suggest that to you. Did it work? you should have posted a video/photos.

will be useful for putting in say a ceiling or under floor and also inspecting, if you think there is damage to a cable as shown by the IR test for example then this can show where, or if cables are in a jb without pulling the floorboards up. can pivot the camera on it too.
The kid today let me tie a bit of string on it as i was worried it would get lost, once the car was visible at other end i tied on cable and pulled through, it was good for the half hour I used it, he had an app on his tablet to control it via wifi.

got to have it... just ordered one.

That's a much nicer post than your under the floorboards one ! Is that the link to the car above Gavin? The £30 ish one? Do you think I can pass it off as a business expense ;) Want one !

That's a much nicer post than your under the floorboards one ! Is that the link to the car above Gavin? The £30 ish one? Do you think I can pass it off as a business expense ;) Want one !
Yes, same one as the kid had. I will take cover off mine put a hook/loop on and bolt it into cover. Like a mini tow bar....
Its a cavity inspection tool!
The people selling these things are going to wonder whats the sudden cause of a spike in orders!

How about a drone or rc helicopter with camera. Its an inspection device for inspecting cables and lights at height. Far too dangerous to use a ladder. Much safer on the ground!
like the drone idea, but isn't the camera down-looking for perving on the neighbours' wives sunbathing in their gardens? camera

I've heard of people using the dog for pulling in cables. They had floor boards up, dog (a small one) was enjoying somewhete new to explore - so they used it to pull a string in from one access to another.

Reply to Pulling cables in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock