Discuss Rewire cost? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm a retired electrician and been out of the game for many years.
A friend of mine is in the process of buying a 1980's property.
What would be a typical average rewire cost be of a 2 bedroom bungalow?
I know it all depends on what the customers requirements are etc.
I've told my friend that as property built in the 80's, I doubt that it would require a full rewire.
When were light circuits generally wired using PVC cables but without an earth wire?
Many thanks

Hi guys, I'm a retired electrician and been out of the game for many years.
A friend of mine is in the process of buying a 1980's property.
What would be a typical average rewire cost be of a 2 bedroom bungalow?
I know it all depends on what the customers requirements are etc.
I've told my friend that as property built in the 80's, I doubt that it would require a full rewire.
When were light circuits generally wired using PVC cables but without an earth wire?
Many thanks
something a pre quote survey would highlight would highlight

If its for a friend just do day rate and materials at cost
This method has always served me well for 'mates'.
Give them a rough idea of how long you think it will take you and roughly cost up the materials for them.
they could even do lots of the donkey work like chasing sockets and switches that will save them money and save you time.
the danger of giving them a 'price' is in my experience they will barter you down on the basis its a mate.
your day rate is a fixed fee

Lighting circuits without cpc, were a 60’s thing, or best 70’s. Think your mates has been mislaid on the build date of the property?

Thanks for reply Pete.
Mate lives miles away. He just called me, asked the question. I'm way out of date re pricing.

£200 a day 'mates rate' + materials at cost via the screwfix website

I personally wouldn't get invloved for less , especially if its a fair old drive away

My parents house was built early 70’s and they’ve got cpc in the lighting circuits. As in twin AND earth... so 80’s build will very likely have it as well.

maybe a partial rewire, as there will be not enough socket outlets for modern living, and probobly wants a CU upgrade as well.

£200 a day 'mates rate' + materials at cost via the screwfix website

I personally wouldn't get invloved for less , especially if its a fair old drive away
Thanks for reply. Mate has looked at a property. Usual things, what needs doing to it, how much going to cost etc, so as to make an offer for the property. I've said no lower than £3000 possibly nearer to £4000

My parents house was built early 70’s and they’ve got cpc in the lighting circuits. As in twin AND earth... so 80’s build will very likely have it as well.

maybe a partial rewire, as there will be not enough socket outlets for modern living, and probobly wants a CU upgrade as well.
Yes, that's what I thought and told him, plus possibly updating earth bonding if required. He just wanted an approx idea, if total rewire required.
I did say, that if he buys it and intends to alter a lot, it may well be best to install a new electrical installation from scratch.

Thanks for reply. Mate has looked at a property. Usual things, what needs doing to it, how much going to cost etc, so as to make an offer for the property. I've said no lower than £3000 possibly nearer to £4000
Argh not bought it yet. As a one off bash at bargaining, more like £5000. After which, you should get it surveyed, if mate is serious in buying. A 1960’s might need a few fixes, other than the wiring.

Argh not bought it yet. As a one off bash at bargaining, more like £5000. After which, you should get it surveyed, if mate is serious in buying. A 1960’s might need a few fixes, other than the wiring.
1980's bungalow not 60's
[automerge]1580924040[/automerge]
You might struggle getting some guide prices on this particular bit of the forum, walls have ears and all that.
understand,,, possibly send a private message

Suck your teeth ball park figure , full and comprehensive re-wire with no making good....
allow £4K and hope for the best

1980's bungalow not 60's
[automerge]1580924040[/automerge]

understand,,, possibly send a private message
If you have a look at my link in #7. I would seriously question the build date of this property. Alarm bells are starting to ring. Can you check Land Registry for this property.
[automerge]1580924406[/automerge]
Suck your teeth ball park figure , full and comprehensive re-wire with no making good....
allow £4K and hope for the best
You got the job, I said 5k. ;)

If its for a friend just do day rate and materials at cost
This method has always served me well for 'mates'.
Give them a rough idea of how long you think it will take you and roughly cost up the materials for them.
they could even do lots of the donkey work like chasing sockets and switches that will save them money and save you time.
the danger of giving them a 'price' is in my experience they will barter you down on the basis its a mate.
your day rate is a fixed fee
Thanks for reply. Yes. he's a mate of mine. I'm a retired sparky, but I'm not going doing the work. He just called me for advice, guidance really. Due to his health, he is unable to carry out any physical work.
[automerge]1580924597[/automerge]
If you have a look at my link in #7. I would seriously question the build date of this property. Alarm bells are starting to ring. Can you check Land Registry for this property.
[automerge]1580924406[/automerge]

You got the job, I said 5k. ;)
[automerge]1580924806[/automerge]
Thanks for reply. Yes. he's a mate of mine. I'm a retired sparky, but I'm not going doing the work. He just called me for advice, guidance really. Due to his health, he is unable to carry out any physical work.
hi, to clarify, The property was built 1980's. My OP, I was enquiring when were lights wired without an earth wire. I now informed possibly 60's early 70's

Last edited:

[automerge]1580924806[/automerge]

hi, to clarify, The property was built 1980's. My OP, I was enquiring when were lights wired without an earth wire. I now informed possibly 60's early 70's

Argh so this particular house does have cpc’s, your just going forewarned?

If your vendor has anything about them, they’ll not fall for your bluff on the property need a rewire or partial rewire. I just sold a 1980’s property (it had new CU). If my buyer said it needed a rewire, I would of said you need to rethink.

Why do you think the property needs a rewire. What have you seen, to think this?

PS Sorry that sounds a bit aggressive, but you see what I mean. :)

If your vendor has anything about them, they’ll not fall for your bluff on the property need a rewire or partial rewire. I just sold a 1980’s property (it had new CU). If my buyer said it needed a rewire, I would of said you need to rethink.

Why do you think the property needs a rewire. What have you seen, to think this?
Mate rang me and asked the question re cost full rewire 1980's 2 bed bungalow. I then informed him as it was 1980's, it wouldn't (shouldn't) need a rewire. OK subject to inspection.
When I was on the tools, I have in fact rewired a house similar age as the electrical installation was hacked to bits and altered so much by the owners it was unbelievable. I assumed at the time that it was a one off.
[automerge]1580925933[/automerge]

PS Sorry that sounds a bit aggressive, but you see what I mean. :)
Hey, no worries, I didn't even read that way, no worries

Reply to Rewire cost? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock