Discuss Rewire work duration in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

RomRobi

For the sake of clarification from experienced Installers, I was just wondering if it is possible a rewire of a 4 bedroom house can be done in one week or more, by just one loan electrician. The Installation involves running all cables in PVC (surface) trunking and feeding every accessories, except in kitchen where cables are in conduit in wall. This is a whole new rewire, as their have been a major dispute over this, between a supervisor and one of his experienced electrican. Mind you this is a council property, and funny enough all replys will be treated with the outmost respect.

Thanks

Two weeks for me......as if in surface trunking it'll all be screw fixed. Some use self adhesive stuck to the wall,but a week after they've left it'll all be on the floor....cant see anyone making a decent job of a full 4 bed rewire in one week.

Well considering council rewires from the past, on larger occupied 3 bedroom houses that were NOT installed in surface trunking or conduit but wired traditionally under floors and above ceilings (using the embedded conduit switch drops, etc). Were routinely completed by 2 electricians or an electrician and a mate in a single day, i reckon you could rewire 2 of these houses in a week!!...lol!!

I know a a company by me that rewire the council houses, the boys are on price and have to do a rewire per day surface. They are rough as Susan boyles chin. Initial verification - neon screw driver.

have done afew of these in the past, the properties vary quite alot tho so its hard to say. always the odd problem. another thing to consider is what im guessing is that its occupied like most of the council stuff ive done anyway moving stuff around, covering up.
altho i do think it is possible i do think it would be alot easier with a trainee or laborer for moving stuff around lifting carpet/boards, pulling/pushing cables or bit of trunking.

I rewired a ground floor 2 bed flat surface except for kitchen, which I flushed in and did 4" core drill, in 2days 2 men, even screwed the trunking up.

also recently did 1 bed bungalow all flush, again had to chase kitchen, done in 2.5 days, and on my own, and no damage done anywhere.

and last lighting rewire was done over weekend , included additional 13 sockets all flush, cu, main bonding and testing, was done for 4 on the Sunday, was 2 sparks this time.

I think 4 days in trunking is do able.

I have worked for a Local Authority who would pay you £610 for the pleasure of a 4 bed rewire :17:

Should be done easily IMO. Not really worked on council properties but I can't image they'll have more that 2 sockets per room and external lighting, garages/sheds etc. to do like most private houses.

I have experience of rewiring for a council, only six weeks coz they sacked me for being too slow.

There is a vast difference between council house rewiring and private market house requiring.

Firstly, the private customer is begrudgingly spending £2000+ (or should be) of their money.

Council tenants have no choice and are not paying.

In a council require everything is specified, ie number and type of circuits, number of sockets for which rooms and what lighting control where.

In a tenanted council house there's no choice, they get what they get there's very little room for change or options.

With the best intention in the world private customers always change their mind half way through or suddenly remember they want an extra socket or two way lighting when you clearly highlighted this at the design/quotation stage.

Then there's the whole environment, are you comfortable with going in to another persons home and just smashing through to get the job done a s a ****ing p to "get it done" using quotes such as "that'll do" me personally, I don't think it's acceptable to go in and do the job as quickly as possible with no after thought for issues which will affect the long term quality of the install.

And that's why I win less rewires.

For me personally a week on my own would be impossible, with a good mate, further experience and good equipmemt/strategies yes, with another spark.

I did a three bed with large sun room extension, fully chased, 26 double sockets, 2 single sockets, (one in attic) an aerial install with three outlets, 32a kitchen rad, x2 ring circuits, x2 lighting circuits with three two way and 11 one way, three smokes, outside lights x 2, 16a rad for combi, new bonding and earthing, new CU, hard wired door bell, new cooker circuit in three weeks on my tod.

Chasing took a day in the kitchen and sun room as it was all rendered and like granite!!

A learning curve and pretty hard week, 21 days in total. That's to a very high standard.

Good luck

Sorry, just re read your post and realised I had gone off on a tangent, 4 bed surface one man I'd say borderline depending on standard. 7 days yes definitely.

If the price was right I would say 1 week tops

1 day fitting trunking drilling cable access holes etc
2 day wiring
2 day fit out

Assuming all material on site and ready to go

Depends if the house is occupied and how much furniture and animals in there, also the state of it, I have seen council houses with dog muck on carpets and packs of dogs running around LOL, you wouldn't do that in a week even for double pay haha

I know electricians that would certainly do it in a week,but wouldn't let them near my house,and personally wouldn't even entertain a rewire on my own these days,so good luck.

Reply to Rewire work duration in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net