Discuss smoke - heat - carbon alarms in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

I'm sure I read on the aico mi that co2 detectors can only be interlinked with smokes if a locator switch is fitted. Could be wrong though?

You would be correct. The reason is because the CO2 alarms should have a differing tone than the fire when in alarm, but they don't and Aicos way around this is to have a silence switch/control which then tells you if it's fire or CO2. It's in the install guide book thing.

Personally I don't think it complies but something is better than nothing.

You would be correct. The reason is because the CO2 alarms should have a differing tone than the fire when in alarm, but they don't and Aicos way around this is to have a silence switch/control which then tells you if it's fire or CO2. It's in the install guide book thing.

Personally I don't think it complies but something is better than nothing.
Can we please get this correct it is a CO detector as in Carbon monoxide ....a CO2 is Carbon Dioxide....
Simlec, I would say the same, there is no reg, as it is combined with a fire detection system, so knowing what has set off the system, can only be a bonus, and aid quick detection.

Last edited:
Sorry yes red wine regarding Co2
yes carbon monoxide and it's page 36 part 6 and states in Aico book that a controller must be used if mixing smoke alarms and carbon monoxide

It only advisory...but a think its good advice to fit. Problem here as stated before is we are dealing with 2 different BS standards, but in the real world, they are being used together within a system.
Sometimes I think Aico have a lot to answer for.

It does say must in Aico MI

This is the bit I love in BS5839 pick any part..

"Use of this document
This British Standard takes the form of guidance and recommendations. It should
not be quoted as if it were a specification and particular care should be taken to
ensure that claims of compliance are not misleading.
Any user claiming compliance with this British Standard is expected to be able to
justify any course of action that deviates from its recommendations."

This again is the problem....fire/smoke alarms are BS5839 part 6 in a domestic dwellings...CO alarms are BS 50292, Aico have decided to combine the both in one system...so in this situation we can only follow both BS regs, and make a common sense approach, being some form of indication is needed to show fire or co. I think the conclusion is to indicate the difference

yes, no reg saying the cannot be all linked.....but as we have pointed out in earlier posts, its a good idea to have a locator switch, so you can identify which detector has been activated

lol....on activation all smokes/heat/co go in alarm, pressing the locator switch, will turn off all alarms except the one which initially activated. Thus now you know where the fire or co activation started.

lol....on activation all smokes/heat/co go in alarm, pressing the locator switch, will turn off all alarms except the one which initially activated. Thus now you know where the fire or co activation started.

Just read in AICO booklet (pages 116-17) that if Smoke and Carbon detectors on same circuit...an Alarm Control Switch MUST be fitted. I take it, that this is different from an isolation switch. Any one any ideas the difference between the two items?

No....If you look at the Aico control switch it has 3 buttons, Locate...Test....Silence
Sorry I meant to say difference between locator switch and Alarm Control switch.
Alarm Locator switch.....has one switch. (Ei159)
Alarm Control Switch....has two switches (Ei1529RC)
Do they have to be fitted between the first and second detector or any where in circuit?

The control switch can be fitted anywhere within the the circuit.....the rc type is radio controlled so must be learnt to house code.

Reply to smoke - heat - carbon alarms in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net