Discuss Stupid Mistake in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
OK lads and ladesses, got to hold up my hands to making a boo-boo. we've had stupid question of the week, now here's my stupid mistake. making this post as it's so easy to get complacent, no matter how experienced you are.

scenario: CU and tails replacement. 80A Switch Fuse in garage by service head and meter. 10mm T/E tails approx. 8meters to CU. tapped into SW. Fuse is a single 13A Socket OUtlet ( obviously has to come out. ) Isolates supply atsaid SW. Fuse. strips down old CU. so far so good. then comes to drill through a couple of walls for new tails. cordless SDS not up to it, so out comes the 110v SDS. but no power.

:icon7: socket in garage will do for temp. supply. switches on isolator, plugs in tranny and drill. holes drilled. Fine. starts to fit new CU, pulling cables into CU. WALLOP. tails LIve from isolator. Sheesh. :93: wake-up call. bloody great tyingle. good job thick rubber soles and standing on insulated toolbox lid.

just goes to show, can't get complacent. always check and double check.

My lady says though, i'm bound to be OK because not even a major shock will stop a heart that's just a swinging brick .and did you remember to pick up a bottle of milk? now that's what i call loving concern.

Cheers for your honesty, its frightening how easy it is to do. Did something similar when working on a lighting circuit all proved dead etc... customer asked me to quickly change a socket which I did, pulled out phase and bang! forgot ring was live! RCD kicked in but goes to show that when you are trying to crack on how easy it is to potentially kill yourself, not many jobs require you to be on the ball ALL the time.

serves you right for being an eager beaver.

I think we have all "Been there done that" Tel Worst one for me was half way through doin socket change Lassy asked if I wanted a coffee I turned power on had coffee but forgot to turnback off NUMPTY Its another " Could have been me!" moment
A workmate at old company has landed in hospital havin skin graffs and stuff due to opening a light to check it n out poped a nice brown wire right injto his hand
Glad your ok tho TEL Id miss your banter

You won't have been the first fella and damn sure you won't be the last either. Just fortunate you were lucky this time. I also did something daft this week, repaired a cable that the kitchen fitter drilled through (not his fault seeing as how the cables weren't in any safe zones), turned the power back on to hoover up forgetting that I still had what I was working on hanging out the wall. Everything was stripped back and live but was fortunate to remember this before I carried on or before someone else got a belt!

Reply to Stupid Mistake in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net