Discuss Switched fused spur off ring main for electric fire and LED strip in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi

Ive been searching everywhere to confirm with regulations that you are able to install a fused spur outlet off the downstairs ring for an electric fire (which is only to be used for the flame effect it provides not for heating as have central heating) and a LED Driver for a strip light within the fire place housing.

Obviously fused down to 3A as it will only be used for the lighting effect for both the electric fire and LED Strip light.

Can anyone advise me if this is acceptable please?

Did your 'searching everywhere' not take you as far as the regs book, then. Because if it had, then I'm pretty sure it would have pointed towards an entire appendix on this very subject.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah i see ive made a friend already lmao

Yes there is appendix 15 but where in this ****ing book does it state that i can supply to items of equipment from one fused spur?

Im not being arsey or meaning to sound like a dumbass just would like somewhere in the regs to say it is acceptable, ive either looked passed it or need to study book, would you say its acceptable?

Is it possible for the fire to be used as a heater again or is it purely built for effect only?... If the former then what KW rating is it?

Just because you decide the central heating is the primary heating source you will still have to treat it as a usable working fire (Scenario - boiler packs in).

Where are you tagging the LED lighting into... are you planning on running 2 flexes to the spurs or tapping it into the fire itself?

Hi

Ive been searching everywhere to confirm with regulations that you are able to install a fused spur outlet off the downstairs ring for an electric fire (which is only to be used for the flame effect it provides not for heating as have central heating) and a LED Driver for a strip light within the fire place housing.

Obviously fused down to 3A as it will only be used for the lighting effect for both the electric fire and LED Strip light.

Can anyone advise me if this is acceptable please?

I don't see any safety issue with that. If you preferred you could install 13A Switched FCU from ring and on the load terminals connect fire and also another cable to a non-switched FCU with a 3A fuse for LED light. That way you could retain full functionality of fire as well.

Is it possible for the fire to be used as a heater again or is it purely built for effect only?... If the former then what KW rating is it?

Just because you decide the central heating is the primary heating source you will still have to treat it as a usable working fire (Scenario - boiler packs in).

Where are you tagging the LED lighting into... are you planning on running 2 flexes to the spurs or tapping it into the fire itself?

I was aiming to install 2 flexes from the load side of the fused spur.

Fully understand about needing the electric fire in a time of need, maybe have to consider this.

Plan to take one flex to the LED Driver and second flex to the electric fire, i didnt want to tap off the electric fire flex to supply the LED Driver.

Thanks for your reply

Reply to Switched fused spur off ring main for electric fire and LED strip in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net