Discuss Switching ideas in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Sorry. Again this is fine but if there was any other access (cleaners/security) then no lights.

We could bat ideas back and forth but without a on-site meeting and discussions about who may need access whether they could be provided with a key switch option etc ....I just see using PIR as problematic unless we know all the circumstances...What if there is a fire will this become and exit route - this changes all the requirements etc

You need to gather all the info...ask the questions you put as scenario's here and until then there is no real solution without a operation & usage detail....so until then we are all guessing and may not have vital info.

Id go pir myself. If the timing duration is left long enough eg for length of peak hour you are not putting any extra undue switching on the lights and you are not restricted to set times

We could bat ideas back and forth but without a on-site meeting and discussions about who may need access whether they could be provided with a key switch option etc ....I just see using PIR as problematic unless we know all the circumstances...What if there is a fire will this become and exit route - this changes all the requirements etc

You need to gather all the info...ask the questions you put as scenario's here and until then there is no real solution without a operation usage detail....so until then we are all guessing and may not have vital info.

I hear you. Switching is out of the question. To many staff, contractors to be considered. All corridors are to be used as an exit route if required.

Sometimes it is easy to miss things off when all the info is in your head. I just wanted to throw some ideas back and forth. I was not going to quote from the advice I receive on here. Lol!

Right then lets get technical... those camera's look expensive.. within them or maybe with the software controlling them they may have a movement recognition system to send a signal out, this is highly reliable can be defined to certain areas and blanked where necessary, have a word with the maintenance team for the camera system - you could get the signal you require to bring the lights on without the need to wire numerous PIR's, Ive done this on a carpark where it ignore traffic on the road but will light the carpark up if any one enters the chosen grid references on the camera view.... just food for thought, think if its an option it would save a lot of pennies and get you a big tick in your brownie box! - (PS thats not an euphemism)

Last edited:
You won't running pvc/pvc cables above that ceiling. This needs a bit of thought and I'm surprised your being given the responsibility to come up with a solution and it ain't a dig at you mate.

Some one with a lot more qualified and experienced ie an Engineer should be doing this imo

As Darkwood said, using the alarm output from the cameras would work well. You could get also get a trigger off the fire/voice alarm system to address the potential evac issue.

You won't running pvc/pvc cables above that ceiling. This needs a bit of thought and I'm surprised your being given the responsibility to come up with a solution and it ain't a dig at you mate.

Some one with a lot more qualified and experienced ie an Engineer should be doing this imo

With the overlaps of security,emergency,fire regs and probably half a dozen other factors,i would be disappointed if a set of anonymous dudes on a forum,come up with the spec....:conehead:

With the overlaps of security,emergency,fire regs and probably half a dozen other factors,i would be disappointed if a set of anonymous dudes on a forum,come up with the spec....:conehead:

Couldn't agree more, imagine if someone phoned the station master and said there's a thread running looking for a solution to sort your lighting out lol

Even if it saved you the consultancy fee and you were ordering the work.

I think I am ok.

As stated before. This just for ideas. I have been doing this long enough to understand how to responsibly quote a job.

Reply to Switching ideas in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net