Discuss Taking out the Cut-out fuse in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

rayers

I went to the NICEIC Live day at Epsom last month, and Tony Cable, in answer to one of the questions, said that SSE had given specific Domestic electricians permission to remove the cut-out when, for example, they are replacing the Consumer Unit. Can anyone tell me if this has been done and if so how one goes about obtaining such permission? Many thanks

My view is simple, the electricity at work act says something like every installation has to have a means of isolation. So we don't have to work live. If the supplier has not provided any means of isolation either a single pole or double pole isolator or a meter with a off load isolation switch, then the only option is to cut the seals and pull the main fuse. You can give them a ring and let them know you have cut there seals and they will probably laugh at you. I attended a call out the other day were the customer had lost power I traced it back to the meter, it had beef recently replaced with a smart meter and the installer completely omitted tightening both the line and neutral terminals on the incoming side! I had quite a long conversation with the supplier and they launched quite an in depth investigation over it. Lol

I went to the NICEIC Live day at Epsom last month, and Tony Cable, in answer to one of the questions, said that SSE had given specific Domestic electricians permission to remove the cut-out when, for example, they are replacing the Consumer Unit. Can anyone tell me if this has been done and if so how one goes about obtaining such permission? Many thanks

All you have to do is once you've done what you have needed is then call an SSE number and inform them of the address. They will at some stage in the future re-seal. I've done this a number of times now.

I did go down the route of trying to get official approval but as far as the communications went I could have been anybody! Through this I did get an email that said something to the effect that SSE only allowed electricians who were members of certain organisations could do this, but I wasn't asked to provide such proof!

In discussion with some supervisors I was given the impression that SSE didn't really worry about electricians breaking seals as long as there was no suspicion of theft!

just hope it is not an older fuse which has been known to crack upon removal.do this and I assure you the supply authority will hold you responsible and want to know why you did not consult them.we always insist that an isolator gets fitted by supplier . no comebacks

I wouldn't hesitate to contact the DNO if the service head / fuse was in poor condition, but all the new fuses in good condition never have any seals on when I arrive.
A customer of mine did ask for SSE to fit an isolator but the reply was " we don't provide that service your electrician will cut the seal, pull the fuse and we will reseal it next time the meter is read."

The SSE also fit meters with an inbuilt isolator on meter changes.
The only time I've seen them fit isolators was when they moved a service head for an an E7 setup.

Work live, get it wrong you’re dead!

I’ve a favour to repay shortly where I will have to work live. The point is “I know what I’m doing.”

Confidence is you’re friend but complacency is you’re enemy!

Work live, get it wrong you’re dead!

I’ve a favour to repay shortly where I will have to work live. The point is “I know what I’m doing.”

Confidence is you’re friend but complacency is you’re enemy!

I have absolutely no doubt that you do know what you are doing and will do it well.

The complacency quote is bang on too.

However the "i know what I'm doing" has been the epitaph of many a man who doesn't

I have absolutely no doubt that you do know what you are doing and will do it well.

The complacency quote is bang on too.

However the "i know what I'm doing" has been the epitaph of many a man who doesn't

I'm still here!

When we get to my epitaph, it will read “He went out with a bang.”

Sorry Ferg,
I’m old and used to dealing with “iron clad” switch fuses. Isolate the switch from earth and it’s perfectly safe to remove live tails, one at a time. It doesn’t matter if the live tail touches the switch body, it’s earth free!

I’m retired now, please look after yourself and you will be a crotchety old barstaward like me in a few years.

Well a man of your talents won't go out with a bang followed by that horrid acrid smell of burning flesh,
Unless you choose to :)
I was just pointing out that not everyone knows how to work live and given the sometimes suspect knowledge of some members.....

Sorry Ferg,
I’m old and used to dealing with “iron clad” switch fuses. Isolate the switch from earth and it’s perfectly safe to remove live tails, one at a time. It doesn’t matter if the live tail touches the switch body, it’s earth free!

I’m retired now, please look after yourself and you will be a crotchety old barstaward like me in a few years.
victorian git

See attached document. Works well and SSE are very helpful. Wish all other DNO's were the same.

Cheers BWM.

If we go back in time, cutting seals was a hanging offence! I got caught, but I’m still here to annoy everyone.

I’d called the then NWEB to a fault in my own house. Seals? Not a one to be seen, I got an ear bending from the duty engineer. Told not to do it again. He wasn’t impressed when took the cut out fuse out, I’d uprated it! Within a day the service head was replaced.

Didn’t fall for that one again, I resealed anything, pity I was using MEB seals on NWEB gear. No one ever noticed.

Oh I don't know, you don't have to be THAT old Tony
I'm just coming up 40 and I was taught that too
Mind you I always taped the ends up as well :innocent:

thats the way ive been shown/seen a few times.

the guy was in a rush replacing a socket front on a ring live once.

he didnt get a belt but cpc slipped out terminal and landed on live screw on back of plate, the copper melted and shot across floor

Reply to Taking out the Cut-out fuse in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net