Discuss Telephone extension/ BT responsibility Question in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

BT responsibility usually stops at the intake position, the Master socket. Thereafter if required the customer can add further points.

Last edited:
Fine, ask away.

Had a noisy telephone line for some time. BT have said it is my responsibility as their tests show no fault on their side of the master box.

The master box is an early type NTE5 with no socket in the lower half. Removing the lower pane reveals a test socket, connecting a phone to this results in a 'dead' line. Clearly there is fault in this box and therefore BT should repair at no cost. Also touching the exposed wiring gives rise to the crackling noise on the line.

How do I convince BT to repair at no cost (ÂŁ129.99)?

Mike.

disconnect all extensions from master socket. plug phone into master socket. if fault is still present, then it's BT's problem.

Ensure nothing wrong at your end and ask them to visit. If it is there fault / equipment you will not get charged. However, if it found to be on your side / equipment then they could charge you. Neighbour had similar a bit back, turned out to be a loose connection about 2 poles away.

We had a similar problem, it turned out to be cat pee. When cats get stressed they pee all over the place, one place happened to be over the phone socket. We didn't know about the cats peeing in that corner and thought it was a fault outside. Virgin engineer arrived and fortunately did find a minor fault outside but it didnt rectify the crackling line, with his test equipment he narrowed it down to that socket causing the problem. He changed it to hard wired a quick as you can bat an eyelid, cracking gone and as he'd found an outside fault said there would be no charge. Top Man.

i had a cat once that pee-d itself. my fault really--. should not have put it in the microwave.

I think the problem lies within the master socket box as the test point does not work. Is BT responsible? Will they change it at no cot?

Mike

I think the problem lies within the master socket box as the test point does not work. Is BT responsible? Will they change it at no cot?

Mike

We can only spectulate.

Ring them, make appointment, see what the Engineer says - but be prepared to pay.

will they send you to prison if you change it?......nope
just swap it out for a new one see if the problem persists with all extensions removed. if the fault is still there its suppliers prob

Reply to Telephone extension/ BT responsibility Question in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net