Discuss The false economy of buying crap accessories.... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

KingKenny

This is pretty obvious, I guess, but I need to get it out there .... I'm doing a rewire on a small house at the mo and trying to keep costs low, so I purchase an attractively priced pack of Rose/pendant sets from a well known large UK retailer. Fine. This plus a small margin will keep things ticking over. But ... it's a false economy. These bloody pendant sets (Marbo), which had 5 star reviews, are universally crap IMO, so instead of the (for example) 15 minutes it might take putting up a pendant, it took three times that as the screw fittings for Loop, Neutral and switch are crap, the Earth fitting is too small and in the wrong place and so on. I had a few MK pendants as well - about 60% more expensive but they went up like lightning. Not sure if this is allowed on the forum, but I wanted to ask you experienced sparkies what products you use on a regular basis, keeping in mind the primary requirement which was time = money, but which SHOULD be time * the right product (!!) = money. Right - Off to work - Have a good day everyone. KK

try BG Nexus accessories, good quality for the price, or electric center do a range of keenly priced , good quality stuff. and yes, marbo are crap.

CED are utter rubbish too, installed 5 in an outbuilding, came to do R1 + R2, got the strangest readings.... one side of the two gang socket read 0.12 ohms the other side read 3.4 ohms. All the sockets were like this! (readings did differ slightly). Was talking to another sparks yesterday and he had exactly the same problem with the CED range. Went to the wholesalers to pick up some "Click" sockets, wired them and has no issues at all. The overall R1 + R2 coming out at 0.12 ohms. Don't know if it was just a faulty batch or what. Has anyone else used CED double gang sockets and had a similar problem? Won't be using them again thats for sure!! Cheers

I always find when somebody before hand has cut the cable to short for a socket it helps to buy MK ones as all the terminals are together.
where as cheaper brand the terminals are miles apart and you often need the earth to be longer and its impossible with the little available cable.

same goes for the d/p sockets i get from elec. center. all 3 terminals are centred at the bottom of the socket.

I bought a BG shower CU unit and the RCD was faulty so saved myself £15 and wasted 2 hours plus petrol getting it sorted so I stick to Crabtree faceplates and either a Wylex or Hager CUs

Had some schneider double sockets the other day. L and N terminals were next to each other at the extreme right of the socket rear. I just about managed it, but wouldn't have if the cables were cropped short.

I agree, Marbo are utter crap. As are Vimark. Steer well clear.

Hi I only use Hager as this is my wholesalers cheap range. I find Hager good quality and they have a curved edge which is similar to MK but costs less.

Hi I only use Hager as this is my wholesalers cheap range. I find Hager good quality and they have a curved edge which is similar to MK but costs less.

Who is your wholesaler? Unusual to have Hager as a "cheap" range. I like Hager gear but when keen pricing is required I can't compete if I price using Hager.
Regards.

Reply to The false economy of buying crap accessories.... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net