Discuss Twinwall Underground Conduit/Ducting - Do Glands Exist? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

clanky

-
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just started upgrading all my out building for power and data and i was wondering rather than cutting off the ducting at floor level, do glands exist so i can fit straight into the bottom of a suitable JB or Enclosure? Ive struggled to find any so any help appreciated. I have several runs of 40 and 63mm as per picture. TIA
Ducting.jpg
^

Last edited by a moderator:
Bugger. Seems a shame. Maybe i can knock something up from existing glands that does the job? or is there something in the regs against that?

Is there a particular reason why you'd want to bring them straight into an enclosure or junction box, rather than clip/cleat them to whatever enclosure each is ultimately destined?

Not helping here, but can't help wondering why.

Last edited:
Normally cut just above or flush with floor level and sealed, preferably with something removeable for future access.
If the duct isn't sealed at the end then water or vermin may get in that way, neither of which you really want in a tube directly connected to your electrical installation.

You wouldn't normally want the duct attached to an enclosure as usually its got armoured cable in it which needs to be glanded to the enclosure.

Also a lot of underground ducts may not be made from a material which has suitable fire performance for use internally.

I've never seen anything other than sawn off at the floor and capped, as others have said, but I'd imagine that if you really wanted to you could probably make a neat enough job by using a cabinet (probably an external type) and just some careful cutting with holesaws, maybe fashion some sort of additional plate/collar to sit on the external side out of paxolin to give you some extra depth and grip and then the same again on the inside with some glue to fix the ducting. But sounds like a bunch of work for little gain....

Thanks for the answers and yes, i hadnt quite thought it through as regards terminating the SWA's. The problem i focused on, was that theres a bunch of data cables (inc. fibres) and i thought it would be a lot neater and safer to gland the ducting direct into the box.

Out of interest, what are they normally sealed with?

Thanks for the answers and yes, i hadnt quite thought it through as regards terminating the SWA's. The problem i focused on, was that theres a bunch of data cables (inc. fibres) and i thought it would be a lot neater and safer to gland the ducting direct into the box.

Out of interest, what are they normally sealed with?
Depends on the environment and what's required, sometimes foam, sometimes filoseal etc

Reply to Twinwall Underground Conduit/Ducting - Do Glands Exist? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net