Discuss vehicle chargers and diversity? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

1Justin

-
Arms
Reaction score
All electric houses will become increasingly common. (Not far down the line we must be all electric renewable since we are toast if we burn more gas).. But that's not the point for discussion.

What are the views on the murky world of diversity when it comes to vehicle chargers? It can already be a struggle with a 100% electric house to comprehensively justify a figure <100A. Adding a 32A Mode 3 charger on top, are we anticipating the need for serious alterations to the DNO supply, main switches, tails etc?

Ultimately smart systems may co-ordinate all this stuff in time (if we don't fry first)

Has anyone done domestic 100% electric hose, then added in a vehicle charger? And how do you justify your diversity sum <100A? Example appreciated.

for 100% off the grid you will need a large solar farm in this country. or a wind turbine or some hydro power. plus some silenced generator for a backup. you will be in a countryside too, and will need a land-rover for going around, not an elecrtric car ;-)

just imagine getting a call-out to a customer with no electricity and telling them you'll get there tomorrow when your electric van is charged up.

While they keep finding new oil deposits, they won't release the really efficient electric fuel cell technology. It has existed in secret since 1975 but one oil giant bought the company that developed it, paid off and gagged the scientists that worked on it, and have sat on it ever since.

All electric houses will become increasingly common. (Not far down the line we must be all electric renewable since we are toast if we burn more gas).. But that's not the point for discussion.

What are the views on the murky world of diversity when it comes to vehicle chargers? It can already be a struggle with a 100% electric house to comprehensively justify a figure <100A. Adding a 32A Mode 3 charger on top, are we anticipating the need for serious alterations to the DNO supply, main switches, tails etc?

Ultimately smart systems may co-ordinate all this stuff in time (if we don't fry first)

Has anyone done domestic 100% electric hose, then added in a vehicle charger? And how do you justify your diversity sum <100A? Example appreciated.

You sound like one of these Anorak activists that want to believe the worst at every turn. I suspect very little is going to change in your lifetime.

A 100A supply on an all electric house (and what i can make out, all or most new housing estates are typically without a gas service) isn't a problem and neither will adding a 32A car charger.

You'd have to ask the DNO or whoever to find out if it would be a problem for them, if every household had a vehicle charging every night!!... God Knows what will happen to the 2 car family in the future? lol!!

While they keep finding new oil deposits, they won't release the really efficient electric fuel cell technology. It has existed in secret since 1975 but one oil giant bought the company that developed it, paid off and gagged the scientists that worked on it, and have sat on it ever since.
It can't be that secret then can it? Lol

Eh?

Where do you get that from?

In my experience, unless it's just small flats, if there's a gas main nearby, gas gets supplied.

Must be just around the area in the UK that i came from then. I know there is a massive housing estate in Thurrock and another in the Tilbury area that have no gas service....

OK, so in terms of diversity we could just about hack the car charger. It's borderline, probably not on if there are electric showers as well as no gas.

Reason for my interest is I'm doing a new build which fits that mould. Nonetheless I shall assume the ASHP and the immersion won't both be used together, so on that basis, even if they happen to be using their 32A charger, the massive induction hob and the second oven, and loading the ring(s), we should just about get by :). (Phew, no 50A shower..).

On a more serious note, the gas thing is really going to happen. It's not if, but when. To do otherwise will be to lock in to impossible fuel source. A local developer here in a conv about a new local estate, gave realistic ear to the possibility of not bothering with the gas. Electricians should be very happy at the prospect.

OK, so in terms of diversity we could just about hack the car charger. It's borderline, probably not on if there are electric showers as well as no gas.

Reason for my interest is I'm doing a new build which fits that mould. Nonetheless I shall assume the ASHP and the immersion won't both be used together, so on that basis, even if they happen to be using their 32A charger, the massive induction hob and the second oven, and loading the ring(s), we should just about get by :). (Phew, no 50A shower..).

On a more serious note, the gas thing is really going to happen. It's not if, but when. To do otherwise will be to lock in to impossible fuel source. A local developer here in a conv about a new local estate, gave realistic ear to the possibility of not bothering with the gas. Electricians should be very happy at the prospect.

Why would you assume the heat pump and immersion won't run together. When it gets to minus 10°C the heatpump will struggle to operate and will call on the immersion to top-up the heat

You have proof of this? Not much of a secret if you do is it ?

normally with a ASHP the immersion is on a timer to bring the hot water on and get it up to a temp of over 60 degrees which the ASHP will struggle to do, to give the hot water cylinder a cleanse to prevent legionella bacteria. so he ASHP and immersion will almost definitely run at the same time at some point or other.

Why would you assume the heat pump and immersion won't run together. When it gets to minus 10°C the heatpump will struggle to operate and will call on the immersion to top-up the heat

Hi Rapparree & Leespark, well finally thank you. A worthwhile comment.
Well, I agree, this is a hard one.
A) It's a Passivhaus so pretty resistant to cooling down even in the worst conditions.
B) If I don't assume this we'll be applying to DNO for > 100A supply. - What would be your approach?

Hi Rapparree & Leespark, well finally thank you. A worthwhile comment.
Well, I agree, this is a hard one.
A) It's a Passivhaus so pretty resistant to cooling down even in the worst conditions.
B) If I don't assume this we'll be applying to DNO for > 100A supply. - What would be your approach?

Id ask the manufacturer of the heat pump straight out what will happen in the extreme cold. It would be a shame for the heatpump to fail when you really need it. I know of people who have an oil burner in reserve for the extreme cold because they don't fancy the idea of running the immersion constantly.

Depending how they're set up and constructed, air source heat pumps can made to operate down to around minus 20-25 Celsius at which point they become pretty ineffective.

Reply to vehicle chargers and diversity? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net