Discuss Washing machine in bathroom in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Good evening all! I have been asked for some professional advice and would like to pick your collective brains.
A client has been advised by his architect to place the washing machine in the bathroom.
I have been reading the 17th which bans sockets within 3 metres of zones.
Can the design be made to work if the washing machine is taken outside the zone by boxing in?
Second idea is provide power via a SELV circuit with the source being outside the zone.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards

Is the washing machine a 12 volt camping thing... will it run on SELV? Maybe I'm just confused by the UK terminology...

I think the UK is one of the few countries where it's not common to see washing machines and tumble dryers in bathrooms.

common thing in continental europe, most of them supplied by outdoor ip rated sockets.
control circuits on modern machines are selv dc anyway.

been doing it in uk recently, to stay within the regs we run lentgh of 40mm conduit (enough to get a plug thru) to the corridor on the opposite side of the wall, fix a socket and connected it there. job done.

Recently completed a rewire where the washing m/c & tumble dryer were in bathroom. Both sited outside zone 2 & connected by flex outlets fed via switched connection units in an adjacent cupboard. Both appliances have since had a cupboard built round them, more for asthetics sake.

Now you're just boasting ... my grandma couldn't afford one so had clothes horses in her bedroom.

Carrying those bales of hay up the stairs and the buckets of .... manure back down was a chore I can tell you.

My mum has multiple clothes horses and washing lines criss-crossing all over her bedroom. She apparently sleeps with all her damp linen over her head. She also often complains about the mold and condensation in there! But won't be told.

My mum has multiple clothes horses and washing lines criss-crossing all over her bedroom. She apparently sleeps with all her damp linen over her head. She also often complains about the mold and condensation in there! But won't be told.

Aye, these old ....... Senior Citizens just won't be told and soon after you've told them something they forget it anyway.

Sorry ... what was your name?

..... Who am I???

My Mum had them in the living room which had a coal fire.

In the warmer weather the back garden had more lines and rigging than Nelson's HMS Victory, but you know .. that's what kept her fit. She would carry the basket of wet washing out the back door, down 2 steps, along the yard, then up 3 steps and up the garden pat.

Then she would be lifting the stuff up over the line, and reaching up to put the pegs on and then shoving the whole lot up in the air with the clothes props. For a little seven stone 80 year old lady that's some fitness work out !!

Then there was the whole palaver in reverse bringing it all back in again!

When I lived in Mellieha on Malta, long story, fell in love with a malteser, got a house etc, split up, moved home, you know what happens when you think with your... Anyway..

Back to the point, when I lived in Malta, myself and the vast majority had twin tubs in the bathroom, my one as it happened was connected off an extension lead trailing round the bath and into the hall area. I think it's very European to have them in bathrooms. Strangely when you go in electrical shops, certainly in Malta there's more twin tubs than normal washing machines, I quite liked it actually.

Reply to Washing machine in bathroom in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net