• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss Which Competent Persons Scheme? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Not open for further replies.


Hi all, I am looking for advice on which Competent Persons Scheme to join? After been involved with Auto Electrics some years ago I have been in Manufacturing ever since. However, due to the current downturn and following my interest in Domestic Electrics I decided to re-train and subsequently spent 2008 working towards and qualifying with 2377, 17th Edition, 2391 and EAL part 'p'.
I don`t intend to leave my current job, at least for a while, if ever but I will definately join a Competent Persons Scheme (pending assessment!) and set up as a sole trader on a part-time basis for the time being. I have had occasional 'days of experience' with a relative but feel confident to go it alone before the knowledge of last year starts to fade away!!
Anyway, sorry for the ramble. Just explaining my circs..
I`ve heard some dodgy rumours about NIC but it seems to be the most recognised provider. Or do you think a different provider would suit my circumstances equally??
Thanks for your time in reading and in advance, thanks for any replies

Des 56

Forum Mentor
The nic will accept your granny if she's read some sort of book on electrics nowadays ,so a formality getting di registered with them
They are by far the best known and requested by the ill informed insurances councils etc.so if its the name you need go with them
You have the 2391 so will be accepted by Napit
Much less known than nic or eca but seem to be the home of well qualified self employed sparks (they do not recognise a domestic installer status amongst sparks )they are apparantly better at assisting on tech info by replying to members queries etc better than nic
Eca are the oldest body and are well known and accept only well qualified stable companies They run 2 schemes via elecsa which they own and bre certification for registration with part p
In the end your own requirements may dictate the choice


Thanks for the reply. After considering what you say I`m tempted to go with NAPIT as they probably most suit my requirements . It sounds like NIC are a choice for people who NEED to go with them owing to dictation by certain customers/bodies, but perhaps i`m talking out of turn on that one. Either way, it has to work out more cost effective joining any scheme rather than going thru building control every time!
Thanks again, Craig
Not open for further replies.

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.