Currently reading:
Who's right? Hopefully me!

Discuss Who's right? Hopefully me! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Drew34

Yesterday whilst doing my practical assessment (2365 level 2) I caused a bit of a stink.
I was working on a couple of 2 way switches with singles through pvc conduit.
As the training centre boss walked past he started over me having blue cable at the switches.
He kept saying 'why have you got neutrals?'
My response was ' I haven't. I'm going to sleeve them brown. Surly it's not neutral if it's not doing what a neutral should do it's just a cable until terminated.'
My tutor had no problem with this method.
Maybe I should have just smiled and pleased him.
Was I right?

i prefer to use 3c/E for switch drops id new works. then you have L, N, S/L at both light/s and switch/es. makes it easy for retro fitting smart switches etc.

IMO if the OP, who as it seems, has received conflicting advice, the training center's usually have some affiliation to a CPS member, example NICEIC approved, that sort of thing.
If he get failed for taking the advice from his Tutor, and it proves out to be the wrong advice, as in this case, I feel his recourse will be to contact the CPS and air his complaint to them, whether he will get anywhere is debatable, you have to agree to that surely, or maybe you don't.
I see where your coming from now regarding the affiliation, I think it is mostly with the NICEIC and C& G some aren't though. In my day and maybe yours you only had the FoE run/funded (in part) by the Departement of Education you didn't get all these commercial education providers. I can see the point that the training centre would want to see the student installing as taught but sleaving brown complies with the regs.

I see where your coming from now regarding the affiliation, I think it is mostly with the NICEIC and C& G some aren't though. In my day and maybe yours you only had the FoE run/funded (in part) by the Departement of Education you didn't get all these commercial education providers. I can see the point that the training centre would want to see the student installing as taught but sleaving brown complies with the regs.
Deleted

Never seen twin brown here in the South of England. However used to see twin Red quite a bit.
Serves a purpose, but it's a pain in the bum when you accidentally wire a complete lighting circuit in the stuff.

It would matter if you had a 2 or 3 gang switch and needed to loop the L to the other switches.
Just connect one of the browns to the cpc and bell it out. It really doesn't present a problem. Worth remembering that bs7671 expresses a preference for conductors to be identifiable throughout their length and not just at the terminations.

If someone did it with a single I would expect them to rewire it properly.

An incorrectly pulled blue single sleeved and used as a line is very shoddy in my book and I would not permit it on new work at all. Forgive my unfamiliarity with T+E (I only work on projects that are in steel con, SWA and pyro) isn't twin brown usually made with one core insulated with solid brown, and the other brown-skinned white insulation, so you can tell the difference during installation? I've certainly seen red done that way.

Continental Europe does generally use an equal gauge insulated CPC but it's normally in a round cable rather than flat. Aus & NZ also have their CPC like that but the cable is flat like ours. USA T+E has bare CPC.

An incorrectly pulled blue single sleeved and used as a line is very shoddy in my book and I would not permit it on new work at all. Forgive my unfamiliarity with T+E (I only work on projects that are in steel con, SWA and pyro) isn't twin brown usually made with one core insulated with solid brown, and the other brown-skinned white insulation, so you can tell the difference during installation? I've certainly seen red done that way.

Continental Europe does generally use an equal gauge insulated CPC but it's normally in a round cable rather than flat. Aus & NZ also have their CPC like that but the cable is flat like ours. USA T+E has bare CPC.
I have half a roll of Portuguese flat cable in my garage.
Not seen twin brown, but the twin red I’ve seen had nothing to distinguish the cores.

Sometimes the browns are slightly different shades...good luck with that in good light let alone poor light. Have seen them as Lucien says also.

Last time I used Twin Brown it was an incorrect delivery from wholesalers and I wired a lighting circuit with it:rage::rage::rage:

Reply to Who's right? Hopefully me! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock