Discuss Wires sticking out after moving doorbell in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

benalt

DIY
Reaction score
Hello. I am located in the Maryland, USA and have no real electrical experience. I just replaced my Nest video door bell with another non-subscription based brand. It went well, except that the original doorbell was tightly fit into a corner by the builder and I discovered that the new doorbell wouldn't fit so I bought some wire to extend the current wiring and move it to a better location. I am concerned though that where I attached the wire is now exposed on the outside to the elements like rain and snow and so I should probably do something about it but I don't know what. I have attached a photo I took of the situation where you can see the holes where the old doorbell used to be and where I put some electrical tape around the wiring and plastic wire twist caps that joined them together. Is there anything I should be buying or doing to have those wires less exposed or even hide them? Thanks for any suggestions you might be able to offer.

Attachments

• 20211212_163450-2.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 33
I would remove door bell camera, drill a deep hole to a point close to the original door bell location.
then a second hole sideways to intercept it.
a small box screwed onto the door frame should cover your joint.

I would remove door bell camera, drill a deep hole to a point close to the original door bell location.
Thanks for that. I did not think of drilling to hide the wire. Would I make the hole as just bigger than what would fit the wires or how big of a hole would you think would is best?

I was looking in the hardware store for a box to screw in but couldn't find anything about 3cm/1.2" wide which is the space I have there but I might be able to try something with a PVC cable hider I found and with some electrical tape to cover the top and some double sided tape to keep it in place.

Thank you for your help. It worked. I haven't covered up the connecting wires with the caps but drilled holes like you suggested. I found getting it around the corner from the main hole was a bit of trouble but worked it out with a coat hanger. I've attached how it looks now.

Attachments

• 20211219_131631.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 2021-12-19 13_33_49-Greenshot image editor.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
All looks good! A couple of wire coat hangers have been part of my tool kit since I started over fifty years ago. They're getting hard to find nowadays.

Reply to Wires sticking out after moving doorbell in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net