Discuss Wiring a carbon monoxide alarm. in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi friends,
Whilst doing my 2nd fix for a builder, he wants me to fit in this carbon monoxide alarm as per his clients instructions.

I've never come across one, neither has the builder. The client wants it installed inside a cupboard where the boiler is also present. He wants it wired off the fused spur which controls the boiler. I'm not too sure as I've checked the terminals of the alarm and they have a live, neutral and common live.
A 3 core cable needs to be present I presume. Can I just install it where the heat detector in the kitchen is supposed to go and tell the client he is being a plum?

If anyone has come across one, any advice would be appreciated.

ZippyMo

Trainee Spark.

Wiring a carbon monoxide alarm. 20190424_121339 - EletriciansForums.net

That won't be a common live, it will be an interlink .
The instructions should be in that box for the correct location, or go to the Aico site , they will have all the info you need.
You will only need a three core if you are linking it into a system , which you can do with that range.

I do that all the time , I am just about to press send ,then a message comes up - new reply to this thread.. I read it , similar to mine so I just delete it. :)

Do you think he might mean that he wants the boiler linked to the detector to shut it down?

Most probably I guess.
The instructions should be in that box for the correct location, or go to the Aico site , they will
The instructions should be in that box for the correct location, or go to the Aico site , they will have all the info you need.
You will only need a three core if you are linking it into a system , which you can do with that range.

I've just checked the aico site for this product. You are correct when you said its not a common live. They do mention the IC terminal is hardly needed as it can be done from the house wiring.
But they're not too specfic on which house wiring. However, I'm going to spur it off the fuse spur switch and hope for the best.

You won't need the interconnect if it is just stand alone. You just need L+N and terminate your earth in the terminal provided.
As @Charlie _ has alluded to , what were your actual instructions from the client? Is it a combi boiler , solid fuel or oil?

You won't need the interconnect if it is just stand alone. You just need L+N and terminate your earth in the terminal provided.
As @Charlie _ has alluded to , what were your actual instructions from the client? Is it a combi boiler , solid fuel or oil?
The clients instruction were just to install it in the boiler cupboard. He doesn't like too many gadgets on show in his kitchen for some reason.
No idea what type of boiler it is tbh. I'm no expert when it comes to plumbing. But here is a pic of it.

Wiring a carbon monoxide alarm. IMG-20190424-WA0012 - EletriciansForums.net

Would it be heard with the door closed . You may need the interlink after all . That alarm will link with other Aico smoke and heat alarms if fitted and they will emit a different tone if the CO detector is activated.
Looking at that cupboard unless it is deep does not look ideal for siting.

Depending on the distance of the heat alarm from the appliance, you can change it for a combined heat/co detector..
Have all the other detectors been fitted in the property?

I'd leave the heat detector in the kitchen, CO alarms are only required for living accommodation where solid fuel is used

I agree that they are required where solid fuel is used , but this customer has specifically requested a co alarm be installed.
I would not like to be the one to talk him out of it , as we all know room sealed boilers do not 'require ' co detectors . But we all know that boilers get neglected and do leak , that is why they have a regular service routine and require a cp12 gas certificate for landlords .
Safety does not have to be legislated for.

Last edited:
Yes it certainly is..
The laws covering it also vary so much across GB.. England & Wales seem to be behind the times on this one, only requiring co alarm in a room with solid fuel, despite gas appliances being the biggest culprits..
Something needs to be done about this, so many silly rules coming in..
which lately always seem to benefit the manufacturers of switchgear..

Worrying isn't it.
Agree, even if it doesn't kill there's evidence that CO poisoning can lead to neuro-degenerative disease, it's well worth a few quid to warn against CO build-up. Battery powered detectors are a useful alternative to hard-wired, the sensor has a finite lifetime so they need replacing every few years anyway.

Reply to Wiring a carbon monoxide alarm. in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock