Discuss Wot a job to start back to in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
A test of a 2008 flat . Expecting an easy one boy was I wrong hear's some pics
2aqane7a.jpg

And....
e3y2uvuv.jpg

O why isn't this socket not live ??? ......
u4ama9e8.jpg

Oooooohh
zuteryhu.jpg

That's nice
Why can't I plug in my tester????
se3a6uqe.jpg

Ohhhh .Yes on the live pin !
Nice termination
jy3y6usy.jpg

At least it's not just the one flat .....
suhynu6y.jpg

I could have been taking photos all day but I'm not a paparazzi I'm electrician and had quite a lot to do as flats getting handed over tomorrow.
And have 4 more flats to test

What size is the swa 10 or 16?
DNO stuff (including cables) very neat.
Why different types of meters?
Is the swa used at the other end? How is it terminated to the comsumer units.
Exposed single cores of an armour are not D.I.

Boydy

Bonding clamp at CDU side of swa also .
100a fuse 16mm 3c swa .
Plenty wrong there .
The list goes on .... And on . Plenty to sort out as well and pritty nightmarish to .
Yes the DNO very well presented , but why the different meters I don't know one is a key meter. There is no room really to sort all that out all you see in the photo is all I've got there are 9x 28mm gas pipes just to the left of the meters

Whoever did the supply side of that meter board has done a nice job. DNO 35mm concentric is lovely stuff to work with, it forms beautifully. Pity about the outgoings!

Internal wiring in the flat, I’ll bet there’s worse to come.

Best of luck.

Much needed I think tony thanks, space,time,money is an issue....... so just like any other job then!! . No one forks out do they . But wot gets me is this day and age this lack of conformance to current (and many bs editions in time gone by ) standards that people don't conform to , continue to trade ?? Like who thinks that an earth bonding strap is the way to go with earthing swa armour ? And how have they got there mits on a good job like new build 4 story accommodation building with basement car park . Wot would I do to get a job like that !

All seem'd to go into a big Lucy box , if I recall correctly ?? No no ryefield db hear 12 flat building . But I will be able to have another look tomorrow

really im surprised how 12 x 35mm cable its connected to main DNO..Please investigate them because i think its another cowboy jobs..

im curious to know that switch after meter its just switch or fused switch..

Last edited:
Hi,

Nice job, spoilt by the termination of those SWA's, don't like that at all. What's wrong with a nice bit of tray to dress your cables onto and as Boydy says correct terminations on the end; not Earth Clamps and single insulated tails.
As for the live pin in the socket, what can you say!

Regards.

really im surprised how 12 x 35mm cable its connected to main DNO..Please investigate them because i think its another cowboy jobs..

If it's a ''cowboy job'' then it's on the DNO side not the contractors side!! Why would you expect a Ryefield board on the DNO side of this installation, when it is clear that each flat/apartment has a sealed DNO service head??

What i'd expect to see after the Main DNO incoming fused service head, is a busbar chamber with or without a rated 3 phase isolator on the incoming side...

The switches are NOT switch fuses, they are isolator switches or DP MCB's!!

Much needed I think tony thanks, space,time,money is an issue....... so just like any other job then!! . No one forks out do they . But wot gets me is this day and age this lack of conformance to current (and many bs editions in time gone by ) standards that people don't conform to , continue to trade ?? Like who thinks that an earth bonding strap is the way to go with earthing swa armour ? And how have they got there mits on a good job like new build 4 story accommodation building with basement car park . Wot would I do to get a job like that !

A very good point. Maybe, once again, it's not what you know but who..

If it's a ''cowboy job'' then it's on the DNO side not the contractors side!! Why would you expect a Ryefield board on the DNO side of this installation, when it is clear that each flat/apartment has a sealed DNO service head??

What i'd expect to see after the Main DNO incoming fused service head, is a busbar chamber with or without a rated 3 phase isolator on the incoming side...

Agree about the busbar system, no doubt, Seems to me a lot of afterthought involved. Then it's a case of lack of space and design ideas. It really is bad for a job done in 2008 and seems a rush job. Then again, a bit more thought may have gone into it, had it been done in the past, with time to prepare. Priorities and budgets, I wonder.

Why would you expect a Ryefield board on the DNO side of this installation, when it is clear that each flat/apartment has a sealed DNO service head??

its more easy for installation to have a ryefield board than busbar..eliminate one steps..now i dont know how they install them but i expect DNO cutout fuse protected + tails to busbar +35mm cable to flats cut out..

before 3 years i install a 15 flats meter room and my design its DNO to fuse protected cut out + tails to 18 way 3p ryefield board..from there to meter + 63A switch fused + 16mm SWA to flats..on this way i think its best design..

how they protect 16mm SWA cable when im sure cutout service fuse its 100A..Definitely need 63A switched fuse between meter and head of SWA cable..

very poor design ..there its many mistakes ..

Last edited:
What size is the swa 10 or 16?
DNO stuff (including cables) very neat.
Why different types of meters?
Is the swa used at the other end? How is it terminated to the comsumer units.
Exposed single cores of an armour are not D.I.

Boydy

Boydy a quick question, What does DI mean?

Not been back as of yet but 12 x concentric cable(each flat)+one landlord db probably not found that yet , 3 phase only 4 flats per phase, that's likely DNO connection I think !! . Like I say I've not been back today, there tomorrow though. Probably more horror/pics

Reply to Wot a job to start back to in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net