Discuss Zener Clipper Output Voltage is AC or DC? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I designed basic clipper circuit using single 3.3v Zener.When i simulate this on proteus and while checking output by keeping knob on AC of respective chanel and output shown is 2v positive and 2v negative from refrence ground(obviously wrong).When i change knob to DC it shows correct output of 3.3 positive and 0.7 negative.I dont know why it is giving correct vaalue on DC as my Input is AC.
1647857913210.png

If it is mimicking a real scope in its action, when you set the display to DC coupling mode then it reflects the actual voltages being measured, in this case going from -0.7V when the zener is in conventional forward conduction (AC source on negative cycle) and up to +3.3V when the zener goes in to reverse breakdown (i.e. usual operating mode as voltage regulator) on the positive AC cycle.

If you put a scope in to AC coupling then what it does is remove the "DC" term, which is basically the average voltage, and displays the variations on that. So here you resulting clipped voltage is roughly square, so if you remove the average of +3.3V & -0.7V you will get the +/-2V variation either size of that displayed.

Usually AC mode is used when you have some signal superimposed on a much higher DC value and you want to investigate that. So if you have, say, +/-5mV or ripple on top of a 12V supply then trying to amplify the 11.995V to 12.005V range is going to overload the display (using real hardware instead of simulation tools) but putting it in AC mode will remove the 12V and then you can amplify the +/-5mV up to make it easier to investigate.

Last edited:

Reply to Zener Clipper Output Voltage is AC or DC? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I am unable to find voltage drop of normal silicon diode(0.7v) on Voltmeters during Proteus Simulation. Also we consider 0.7v drop of diode...
Replies
Views
Hello, my name is Kelvin. I'm a trainee hydraulic engineer in Indonesia. I apologize if this question has been answered before / if this question...
Replies
Views
Hello. I'm new here and greatly appreciate any assistance that more qualified persons can provide. I am a DIY person with some, but limited...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. The owner of the business I work for along with myself have created a DIY inverter setup that is giving us some issues. We bought...
Replies
Views
Lawnmower Generator AC to DC sharing common ground / neutral??? Question is general because I am trying understand fundamentals. I will give...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock