Discuss A blast from the past, at least my past. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Back in the building boom, I worked for one of the large builders in the South West, throwing Houses and Apartments up at every opportunity,
We were expected to carcase a 3 be house in a day 1 sparky and 1 Apprentice, not much time for mentoring or tutelage there you would be right in thinking,
Anyway, my question, revolves around clipping cables along 1st floor and ground floor joists, the Manager of the Electrical Contracting Dept was a tight so and so probably brought on by being related to the main contractor, he wouldn't buy us cable clips, he told us to use off cut of T and E cut to suite and bunch all the cables together and suspend then by nailing the off cuts with plaster board nails, forming a sort of loop carrying these cables.
Rough you would rightly say, but when they could fire you for next to nothing we went along with it, surely this isn't done these days is it???

That's how we use to support the cables around the edges of the walls above the suspend ceiling when doing shop fitting but them jobs were ruff as F?%$
Would it solve the metal fixing over escape routes???????/

I've seen that a lot in houses when doing extensions etc.

I have used offcuts to secure T&E many times, but not in loops as you describe, I've used it like a strap to secure multiple T&Es going to a joint box.

I wonder if you bent the offcut right it could be a fire resistant support?

I discovered in my lads house, built circa 1980’s, that they used bent over nails to secure cables. Perhaps they knew what was coming in 2019 :)

Big Bunches of cables held by off cut cable loops very common.
I remember helping on new builds when I was a kid and it was one of my jobs to follow the sparks round and bunch up pulled in cables then pop an off cut loop around them and nail to the joist.
I do seem to remember it became frowned upon due to cable grouping factors and schemes like the niceic insisted on individual clipped cables.

As for old bent over old cut nail for a cable clip is rough as ---- but again seen it loads of times in older houses

the rich girl wears a brassieire, the poor girl uses string. but Dinah uses nothing at all, she lets the buggers swing. that's the state of new builds now. all Dinah.

If you did your job right in the first place, you would use exactly the right length of cable. There wouldn’t be any offcuts;)

You clip the first cable, then tape all the rest to that, right?:)

This is a true story , I was on a massive new build in Wimbledon and was subby to the main electrician.
I started clipping cables as I always did roughly a hammer width between clips.
He went nuts saying what am Doing wasting all those clips and should only clip every 6 feet.
So I tried his method.
There was cables flapping and swinging everywhere but his argument was once the ceiling was up nobody was give a crap anyway.
He insisted on no capping just cables clipped to the walls and only 1 screw in a back box.
Nice...

Tel, you constantly amaze me by bringng up stuff from the past...

If I remember correctly, that was a verse from
Dinah, Dinah, show us a leg
a yard above yer knee...

Happy days!

Our head girl, her name was Gwen...
she only liked it now and again...
and again and again and again and again
again and again and again...

Rich girls they wear rings of gold
poor girls, rings of brass...
but the only ring our Dinah knows
is the ring around her...aspidistra!

Tel, you constantly amaze me by bringng up stuff from the past...

If I remember correctly, that was a verse from
Dinah, Dinah, show us a leg
a yard above yer knee...

Happy days!

Our head girl, her name was Gwen...
she only liked it now and again...
and again and again and again and again
again and again and again...

Rich girls they wear rings of gold
poor girls, rings of brass...
but the only ring our Dinah knows
is the ring around her...aspidistra!

Sounds like my former head teachers guide for the school uniform, "skirts to be no lower than the knee...":blush:

Reply to A blast from the past, at least my past. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock