Discuss Lost or forgotten installation tips from the past! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Umm... 1995/6ish. There were various attempts to drag me back for about a year, but by then I was approaching my 16th birthday so it became pointless. It's a bit different now - they have powers to force attendance.
So you should have learnt all about WW2 by then.

When pulling multiple singles int conduit, if possible, use a piece of cardboard or thin plywood with the same number of holes in it, to correspond to the number of singles being pulled in, to alleviate possible crossover of cables in the conduit. Little things mean a lot, sometimes.

We never did that as you never knew when you needed to send another up/down the tube.......lube is a very useful you know!

So you should have learnt all about WW2 by then.

Indeed, I did. And as a young lad it was quite interesting. But history tends to recall the facts, not so much the reason.

I knew the Americans came in late and that the war was turned by that point anyway. I don't think it was ever taught that they were at one stage hoping for a ---- win.

I can certainly make sense of that knowledge now though. They didn't want to spend money on fighting someone else's war(s) and their safest bet was to try and align their trade with the likely victors. I have no doubt the same is happening elsewhere in the world today.

Last edited:
So no French, Polish, Norwegian, Russian, Australian, Burmese, Canadian, New Zealand or any other nations then?
not to forget the Gurkas.

We never did that as you never knew when you needed to send another up/down the tube.......lube is a very useful you know!
That's down to bad planning Mate, pulling cables in on top of others is not a good idea.

Only records the facts according to the winners! It's hard to get the other point of view sometimes.

Certainly true. It's hard to really understand the German mindset at that time, and why as a nation they supported a party with clearly very 'radical' ideas and plans. But they did, and on some level there must have been a genuine belief that it would somehow lead to an overall better world, however 'better' is defined.

They say the people were effectively brainwashed and mislead, but were they really? No shortage of intrigue and perceptiveness in the any of the Germans I meet and work with, I would say they're at the sharper end of nations when it comes to figuring stuff out.

Go to Germany now, and apart from an extreme minority of neo-nazis (apparently), you will find a nation of people you would never believe could be anything other than pretty decent humans. Yet in historic terms it was just yesterday that as a nation they showed great support to a party that were quite clearly about to mix things up across the world in a very risque and blunt fashion. I don't imagine the people would have guessed the extent of the persecution against the Jewish, but they seemed to be pretty chuffed at the idea of Germany expanding it's borders across of Europe and beyond.

I suppose because of my relative youth and many projects in Germany I have a different perspective and perhaps a lesser appreciation of the facts to those born closer to the end of the war. As you say, so much gets dropped from history.

I don’t mark in and out. Just a slit for the switch and use a sharpie when multiple switches, 2 ways and fans etc are in the same box. I stumped a new sparks, whose just out of his time, and started with us when he had to connect an intermediate switch that also had the feed in/out and switch wire at it the other day :D

I don’t mark in and out. Just a slit for the switch and use a sharpie when multiple switches, 2 ways and fans etc are in the same box. I stumped a new sparks, whose just out of his time, and started with us when he had to connect an intermediate switch that also had the feed in/out and switch wire at it the other day :D

Haha. Did you prompt him by slowly handing him 2 connector blocks/wagos for the common and neutrals? :)

That's down to bad planning Mate, pulling cables in on top of others is not a good idea.

It's not always down to bad planning, it is very often done as part of alterations and additions long after the original installation date. That is after all one of the advantages of a trunking and conduit installation, you can add to and alter circuits with relative ease.

It's not always down to bad planning, it is very often done as part of alterations and additions long after the original installation date. That is after all one of the advantages of a trunking and conduit installation, you can add to and alter circuits with relative ease.
Especially on industrial sites when they decide to alter the office layout.

Never used the method myself as never had reason but, whilst working on a self build the owner/project manager/labourer had run a duct from the end of his house to where his cabin/office was going about 40m up the garden.

Sparks and plumbers on site giving him a right running as he hadn't put in a cord .

So he goes into the house gets a sandwich bag, a ball of string and his Hoover, ties the bag to the string and feeds it into the duct at the cabin end, comes back to the house and puts the Hoover on and sticks it down the duct at the house end.

Within a few seconds he's stood there with the bag and string in his hand and a well earned smug look on his face.

I like that kind of lateral thinking.

Reply to Lost or forgotten installation tips from the past! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock