Discuss A Question about Cutters in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Ryan_Moore

I currently work in a electrical wholesalers and I am looking at getting a pair of cutters, arguebly the most important tool in your belt, but there are so many different types: combicutter2,combicutter3, heavy duty cutters, top cutters, side cutters, cutters with wire stripers, can anyone cut through this nonsense for me,( I am so sorry for the pun it had to be done...) give me a breakdown of what all this means and advise me on the best general purpose cutters.

A good place might be to start with a simple set up of combination pliers, snips and a set of srippers. You can really go wrong with knipex in my opinion.

Something like this: (Insulated ofcourse, just incase!)

pliers.jpg
snips.jpg
strippers.jpg

Its all about what you are comfortable working with. I use CK handtools, i have individual ones, sidecutters to cut, strippers to strip, cable shears for tails etc, so you get my drift. Personally i think that sidecutters and the like that do everything is just a sales pitch, the manufacturers trying to make an excuse to get you to buy a new tool. That said i have never tried one of these combi things so it is only my opinion, there will be others who think that they are the dogs.

But its all down to what floats your boat, so buy what is best for yourself.

Cheers..........Howard

Standard side cutters, combination pliers and a pair of long-nose in the top of the box, angled long nose in the bottom.
You can get a free pair of cable stripping side cutters every time you cut a live T&E. ;)

and here's another vote for a different one (although I have the CK ones for the screw shear) - KNIPEX
http://www.electriciansforums.net/a...d1311331371t-question-about-cutters-snips.jpg

like these but with hole for stripping 2.5 or 1.5
. lovely. Favourite tool bar none. to 160mm long ones.

Very well made. all others have failed in some way (including the CK ones they are nicked/ damaged / and the joint has gone wobbly)

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to A Question about Cutters in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net