Discuss Adding fused spur for bathroom extactor in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Don't you just love it when you ask a simple polite question and you don't get an answer?

Depends on you really doesn't it? I saw a chap paying halfords £10 to change his indicator bulb recently - would you have done it yourself? Is the halfords person 'qualified'?

Thanks for the copy and paste but I've got the correct instructions right in front of me - I have read it.

If this is meant to be a lecture then thanks. But, I've just looked at instructions for fitting some downlights:

This light fitting has been designed and manufactured exclusively for B&Q These instructions on wiring and installation are provided as a guideline to assist you. Some experience of electrical wiring and do-it-yourself is required to install the light fitting. If at any time you are unsure of how to proceed, please consult a qualified electrician.

So I'm safe to do the lights, but not the extractor?

Do the B&Q instructions inform you that all electrical work must be tested and certificated by a competent person in line with the wiring regulations to ensure safety and that work in a bathroom may be legally reportable to building control ?
They write what Diyers want to hear and what sells products.

You should be "competent" when undertaking electrical work. Would hardly say you are competent if you need to post on a forum. If I didn't know how to change a lamp in my car I would pay a professional to do it I wouldn't check on a forum. Especially when we are talking about electrics, you may succeed in installing what you want but will it be done to regs and in a safe manner?

Sounds like you've made your mind up to do it any way so just be careful, most sparks I know ( wrong or right) dont bother with the fuse , been debated many times as the difference between a 3 amp fuse and 6 amp mcb wouldn' make much difference, they just connect into lights with switch and permanent and neutral through isolator then to fan. Having considered manufactures instructions but took no notice

You should be "competent" when undertaking electrical work. Would hardly say you are competent if you need to post on a forum. If I didn't know how to change a lamp in my car I would pay a professional to do it I wouldn't check on a forum. Especially when we are talking about electrics, you may succeed in installing what you want but will it be done to regs and in a safe manner?

TBF - I searched for the answer before asking it, and quite a few 'competent' or 'qualified' people seem to either - say they don't bother with fuse, question if it has any safety value over 6A MCB.

Have you ever needed to ask a question, or check something with anyone - did that make you incompetent? Have you used google, ever? Why would you?

I'm happy to get a professional in if it's clear to me that it's not safe to do it - but only reason I've been told is the instructions saying get a 'qualified electrician', even though similar job (lights not in bathroom) don't say it. So unsafe in both cases? or just when it says it?
As far as talking about car DIY then yes, there's lots I have done before - my brother's a mechanic - so I know what I'm capable of - it's not difficult to assess the situation and decide if you feel confident to tackle something. But as far as this job goes I assume it's incredibly complicated since no one has offered to explain it!

Sounds like you've made your mind up to do it any way so just be careful, most sparks I know ( wrong or right) dont bother with the fuse , been debated many times as the difference between a 3 amp fuse and 6 amp mcb wouldn' make much difference, they just connect into lights with switch and permanent and neutral through isolator then to fan. Having considered manufactures instructions but took no notice
Thanks for the clear and honest response!

If you aren’t testing your work with a calibrated multi function tester you are as far away from competent as you could possibly be.

Your insurance company will more than likely argue the same.

Your craftsmanship and “gut feel” doesn’t come into it.

TBF - I searched for the answer before asking it, and quite a few 'competent' or 'qualified' people seem to either - say they don't bother with fuse, question if it has any safety value over 6A MCB.

Have you ever needed to ask a question, or check something with anyone - did that make you incompetent? Have you used google, ever? Why would you?

I'm happy to get a professional in if it's clear to me that it's not safe to do it - but only reason I've been told is the instructions saying get a 'qualified electrician', even though similar job (lights not in bathroom) don't say it. So unsafe in both cases? or just when it says it?
As far as talking about car DIY then yes, there's lots I have done before - my brother's a mechanic - so I know what I'm capable of - it's not difficult to assess the situation and decide if you feel confident to tackle something. But as far as this job goes I assume it's incredibly complicated since no one has offered to explain it!

Get with the times boys
It’s MFTs all the way:D:D

LoL I spoiled myself this month and bought myself a new Megger tpt320 voltage tester as my 30+ year old Stienel needs a rest.
The Stienel does not need batteries though so it is still in the bag.

Regardless of whether a MFT or AVO8 is used, I think we can safely say that nothing like any testing is going to be carried out for this diy job.

Course you are right but its most probably a class 2 plastic fan off a light circuit so realistically what would you expect him or any one to test, no disrespect intended

Reply to Adding fused spur for bathroom extactor in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net