Discuss Advice on re-joining two main cables after patio door installation in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Those are sensible suggestions,if it is assumed the ring is a ring,and intact
The op is not an electrician and the likelyhood of the circuit having been tested for addition or alteration will probably be nill

It is the lack of testing and the "stuff the cables anywhere" practices that will probably have disuaded anyone from giving much advise

He seems to have researched some of the practices that would be required,but he tends to give the impression of being well out of his depth,hence why there is reluctance to aid the op

I too was reluctant to post advice. He was nearly there though with his blanking plate idea. Not much of a leap from that to sockets. Better terminations too.

Yes, loads of other factors to consider. Didn't want to get into those! :smile5:

I don't agree this forum should be here to help how public do electrical work. I think it should be for sparkles to discuss problems amongst themselves, otherwise, we're just shooting ourselves in the foot aren't we?

Which is exactly why it should be in the DIY section, but newcomers to the forum don't necessarily know this. Daz

The best joint to use and that comply with the regs are Crimps/Butt Splices if you want to rebury your cable. If burying underground I recommend a Resin joint.

Sorry if I am mistaken but the box you were intending to use does not seem to be IP rated either.

30A Connector Block could be used if made off into an enclosure, but you seem to be unaware of how much current is flowing through the circuit. This will eventually cause the connector block to burnout if the rating is not correctly matched.

My honest recommendation would be to get a competent person to complete the works, from my understanding of your situation it shouldn't take them long if you tell them the situation.

Kind Regards and Good luck solving your issue!

I don't agree this forum should be here to help how public do electrical work. I think it should be for sparkles to discuss problems amongst themselves, otherwise, we're just shooting ourselves in the foot aren't we?

Yes I agree.

But it seems likely that he was always going to tackle the job himself, with or without advice, so some sound suggestions may help to make the work safer.

On the flip side, perhaps no advice is better than a little. An OP could leave with a misguided sense of having full knowledge/competence for the job in hand. We have no idea what other issues there may be, or how competent an OP is at following our suggestions.

YOU may not agree, but the DIY section of this forum is exactly for that. Daz

God help us. Mods why isn't this in the DIY section.

In fact why don't you "restrict" all new members to the DIY section, then they can earn their stripes and move into the main forum....

Matey, when you are next sitting around, waiting for the phone to ring, will you be on here offering detailed instructions to the guy, who could be in the next street from you?

I doubt it and the whole point of this forum is for Sparks to share with sparks.....

God help us. Mods why isn't this in the DIY section.

In fact why don't you "restrict" all new members to the DIY section, then they can earn their stripes and move into the main forum....

Now that's what I call a good idea!

But, as a member since only Oct 2013, and with just 48 posts, will I need to claim squatters rights on the main forums?!

Let's push Murdoch's idea further. A divisional league structure with promotions and relegations. Yellow & red cards. Bans & fines. League cup competitions for all. Champions league cup for the elite. I'm liking this!!

Reply to Advice on re-joining two main cables after patio door installation in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net