Discuss Advice please - Certification for competance in basic single phase installation in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all.

I am looking for some advice. I am looking to become certified to install consumption measuring devices in small businesses. I have many years of expereince on basic single phase supplies includiing consumer units etc, assisting my father's company when he's snowed under but never formally qualified.

I would like to become formally qualified to provide smart metering at appliance level which will involve individual metering on 16 amp appliances and adding measurement to exisitng consumer units up to 120amp..

An NICEC qulaified colleague said he was sure that I could train specifically and ontain a competency qualification for the work involved which wouldn't require being a fully qualified electrician.

If this is correct can anyone point me in the right direction of where to start?

Thanks

Hi all.

I would like to become formally qualified to provide smart metering at appliance level which will involve individual metering on 16 amp appliances and adding measurement to exisitng consumer units up to 120amp..
At the appliance end if the monitoring equipment can be plugged in then no qualifications are required, however delving into the Consumer Unit requires competence, your last statement concerning this is very confusing, "adding measurement to existing consumer units up to 120amp" what do you mean?

Hi Mike thank you for the reply,

When I refer the consumer units I mean 120amp max load capacity for that circuit.

The measuring equipment for indivdual equipment is 16amp and 50 amp but are 'wired in' rather than plug in if that makes sense.

I would have thought the current measuring would be better if done by current clamps, rather than having to disconnect each circuit and insert.

Are the appliances plugged in or hard wired, makes a difference to the definition of "circuit" and competency required.

Are the appliances plugged in or hard wired, makes a difference to the definition of "circuit" and competency required.
The more accurate equipment we have is hard wired. examples include:
Coolers rated at 32amps - equpment added on a slave consumer unit
Kitchen equipment rated at 16 amps - equipment added in a searate sealed pattress.

Thank you.

Yes that can be done with current clamps at 50 and 100 amps on the consumer unit but not at appliance level.

If the appliances are plugged in then you could use a monitoring device which has a plug and a socket so that it can be inserted in line. Would save disturbing connections in consumer units, which is your current (nice pun) problem.

Edit: just seen your post about them being hard wired. Surely you could still use current clamps for cookers etc though.

If the appliances are plugged in then you could use a monitoring device which has a plug and a socket so that it can be inserted in line. Would save disturbing connections in consumer units, which is your current (nice pun) problem.
Thanks DPG I know. But the better euipment for the monitoring back end is hard wired. I'll need to be able to provide both.

Last edited:

Reply to Advice please - Certification for competance in basic single phase installation in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock