Discuss Another Bloody Cowboy, is this the worst CU change ever ??? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Trouble is, as already pointed out, old Mrs Jones doesn't know any better, and trusts her qualified tradesman. How do these guys even sleep at night?
Chances are 'old Mrs Jones' has shopped around and in the absence of any other method of measurement has gone with the cheapest.

I have just been fortunate enough to work for a nice old Lady who got 2 quotes (one was mine), then went with me (the dearer quote) because she couldn't see how the other guy could do the work for the price he quoted. I have no idea how he could have done it either, as there was a lot of work involved and I went over time as it was, to get it done to a high standard. Needless to say, she is very pleased.

typical of some builders,once I had one who asked for a price for a job labour only then turned up with a load of secondhand gear,some of it covered in paint saw him once buying second hand gear from car boot sales.needless to say I walked away from it.but builders seem to be wanting maximum profit with minimum outlay and the electrics seem to be the favourite area for savings.
because their just Turnips Phil....and thats what it is......

It would be good to think that customers had 'Values' too..Why is it always the tradesmen that have to have 'Values' ? it really ****es me off..some num nut gets two quotes one is half the other, hello ? a lot of the time I have no fkn sympathy for these idiots, get Billy Bob Builder in to do the leccy..when your kids are toast have a party on what you have saved !
J

It would be good to think that customers had 'Values' too..Why is it always the tradesmen that have to have 'Values' ? it really ****es me off..some num nut gets two quotes one is half the other, hello ? a lot of the time I have no fkn sympathy for these idiots, get Billy Bob Builder in to do the leccy..when your kids are toast have a party on what you have saved !
J
Because the electricians are the professionals and as such should maintain a professional decorum.

What like the NIC lol..:)
J

Not really, no. I mean if a 'cowboy' rips off a little old lady it's primarily the cowboy's fault for ripping her off rather than the little old lady's fault for going for a cheaper price. If someone who trades in a professional capacity says they can do the electrics a customer shouldn't have any reason to doubt that.
I suppose if you wanted to crowbar the NIC into the equation you could argue that they should act as a regulatory body and tell customers to always use an NIC registered electrician, which as much as they would like isn't strictly the case since you can go with any of the 'competent persons' schemes, but as I've already said you could get a perfectly competent electrician who works for a company to do the work on a weekend and they wouldn't be 'Part P'.

If anything I think it is an issue for the JIB - if you want an electrician to work on your house ask to see his JIB card rather than which organisation the company he works for has paid a subscription to.
There's your controversial argument!

<snip>If anything I think it is an issue for the JIB - if you want an electrician to work on your house ask to see his JIB card rather than which organisation the company he works for has paid a subscription to.

Thats fine I would like one could you tell me how to go about it ? I hold C&G level 1-3, 17th ED etc I await with baited
J

Looks like you would have fun getting the case on this is a joke. I would not be able to sleep at night if I had done that.
LABC dont like to get involved in this sort of thing. Dont know why they send you to trading standards.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking of setting up on my own, after seeing things like this why should I bother going through the hassle of applying into scheme membership when LABC and other agencies can't be bothered to deal with cowboys who carry out this kind of work?

Makes a mockery of the whole Part P system. :(

Unless the work is part of a bigger building project that also needs signing off I wouldn't bother mate, it's a fkn rip off, just do what the others do, except your will be done properly.
J

<snip>If anything I think it is an issue for the JIB - if you want an electrician to work on your house ask to see his JIB card rather than which organisation the company he works for has paid a subscription to.

Thats fine I would like one could you tell me how to go about it ? I hold C&G level 1-3, 17th ED etc I await with baited
J

Print this form
http://www.ecscard.org.uk/pdfs/ECS003R_Application_Form_March_2012.pdf
fill it in and post it to them. If you haven't done the NVQ3 they'll give you a 'trainee' card, which is often controversial.

You need a different form if you're in Scotland. I don't think there's a special form for if your location is 'Lounge'.

I'm thinking of setting up on my own, after seeing things like this why should I bother going through the hassle of applying into scheme membership when LABC and other agencies can't be bothered to deal with cowboys who carry out this kind of work?

I suppose the point would be so that you have the 'luxury' of saying you're doing things 'by the book' rather than taking shortcuts, which could be a good selling point for the more discerning customers.

I have just been fortunate enough to work for a nice old Lady who got 2 quotes (one was mine), then went with me (the dearer quote) because she couldn't see how the other guy could do the work for the price he quoted. I have no idea how he could have done it either, as there was a lot of work involved and I went over time as it was, to get it done to a high standard. Needless to say, she is very pleased.

Yep just done a job this morning and the same situation

Makes some feel like packing it in. Mockery of the whole trade.

Yep just done a job this morning and the same situation

Just have to add, looked the other guy up who quoted and he is not part P registered. Extra circuit to outbuilding was required, amongst other things.... Not sure how he was going to notify this as I know the £180+vat for LBC was not in the price...

Reply to Another Bloody Cowboy, is this the worst CU change ever ??? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock