• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Another Bloody Cowboy, is this the worst CU change ever ??? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I think this is a good example of why part P is counter-productive - cash-strapped householders would rather pay a hundred quid in cash to help out a friend of a friend or the nice builder with kids to feed, than pay 4 times that to some obstructive electrician who keeps going on about how all of a sudden you need rcd protection and the bonding which has been there since you moved in now isn't good enough any more, wastes time faffing about with testing and wants you to pay a premium for a load of red tape, much of it going to the government anyway.

Some of this might seem reasonable if you're getting a perfectly competent commercial/industrial/retired electrician who sometimes does private jobs at the weekend and to whom it doesn't make financial sense to be a member of a scheme, but in this case I agree that this builder guy should be taken outside and shot.

The thing is, he's probably looked at it (the bloke that did it), on here, and had a laugh with his mates. he'll never have to answer for it.

Still, a few hundred for someone a bit more ethical !

I think this is a good example of why part P is counter-productive - cash-strapped householders would rather pay a hundred quid in cash to help out a friend of a friend or the nice builder with kids to feed, than pay 4 times that to some obstructive electrician who keeps going on about how all of a sudden you need rcd protection and the bonding which has been there since you moved in now isn't good enough any more, wastes time faffing about with testing and wants you to pay a premium for a load of red tape, much of it going to the government anyway.

Some of this might seem reasonable if you're getting a perfectly competent commercial/industrial/retired electrician who sometimes does private jobs at the weekend and to whom it doesn't make financial sense to be a member of a scheme, but in this case I agree that this builder guy should be taken outside and shot.

why is it just commercial/industrial sparks are competent and di's are qualified,scheme or not theres plenty of sparks do cash jobs,always has been always will be,part p wont change a thing never has never will,cant see the problem with a spark paying a fortune in tax & ni doing a bit for cash,id call it a rebate..until a spark (not a di) gets hauled up in front of the beak for doing work and not being part p and gets prosecuted(wont happen) nothing will change regards part p and cash jobs

typical of some builders,once I had one who asked for a price for a job labour only then turned up with a load of secondhand gear,some of it covered in paint saw him once buying second hand gear from car boot sales.needless to say I walked away from it.but builders seem to be wanting maximum profit with minimum outlay and the electrics seem to be the favourite area for savings.

I know of a local spark who was prosecuted for not being part p!
They called him incompetent! Mind you I do think he had done any updates in 30years since his apprenticeship! Lol.

Yet builders get away with this crap, that is far far far worse!
Makes no sense.
IMO part p needs higher entry requirements, but that's another story lol

i say well done to him, no mean feat cramming 2 lots of tails into such a small board.
could do with him next time im dressing a 90mm armoured.

send it to proffesional electrician magazine.

I know of a local spark who was prosecuted for not being part p!
They called him incompetent! Mind you I do think he had done any updates in 30years since his apprenticeship! Lol.

Yet builders get away with this crap, that is far far far worse!
Makes no sense.
IMO part p needs higher entry requirements, but that's another story lol

have you got a link for that,part p needs scrapping simple as..

why is it just commercial/industrial sparks are competent and di's are qualified,scheme or not theres plenty of sparks do cash jobs,always has been always will be,part p wont change a thing never has never will,cant see the problem with a spark paying a fortune in tax & ni doing a bit for cash,id call it a rebate..until a spark (not a di) gets hauled up in front of the beak for doing work and not being part p and gets prosecuted(wont happen) nothing will change regards part p and cash jobs

I think the simple answer to that is, to be comm/ind, you invariably have to go through the interview/references process etc., whereas, it appears to me, virtually anyone can walk into someones house claiming to be an electrician, and by the looks of it, do whatever (and charge) they like.

I think the simple answer to that is, to be comm/ind, you invariably have to go through the interview/references process etc., whereas, it appears to me, virtually anyone can walk into someones house claiming to be an electrician, and by the looks of it, do whatever (and charge) they like.
Just to add to that I think to a certain extent the commercial & Industrial sectors are 'self-policing', ie the person responsible for employing the electrical contractor is paid to know what they're doing and should be able to sniff out the cowboys, thereby starving them of work and forcing them out of business.
In the domestic sector however the cowboy could be and are preying on the most vulnerable - the elderly, mentally ill, and just poorly informed people. Part P seems to have been implemented partly to protect these people.
This could be why on 'Matt Alright BBC Rogue Traders' we hear of 'fly-by-night' contractors (often roofing and driveways) ripping off domestic customers, but you never hear of them turning up on a site and ripping off the main contractor.

Speaking of 'Matt Alright BBC Rogue Traders' and misappropriating funds, that guy who rides the bike in Rogue Traders recently got 12 weeks for benefit fraud.
How ironic.

Adam, exactly, if you did work like this you'd get a severe ballocking as min, then be down the road if you carried on.
Domestics, they can just move on from one rubbish job to the next, and so it seems, get away with it.

Adam, exactly, if you did work like this you'd get a severe ballocking as min, then be down the road if you carried on.
Domestics, they can just move on from one rubbish job to the next, and so it seems, get away with it.

Yes.

If someone did work like that on my behalf, they'd get the bullet

Reply to Another Bloody Cowboy, is this the worst CU change ever ??? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back