Discuss beginner in need of information, in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

cagedanimal2010

hi guys,
am currently working for a company, have been for the last 7 years. have got tech cert, 16th edt, am booking for 17th soon, an wen the funds allow 2391. its got to a point were i wish to start on my own, what i would like to know is how to go about it all, who to join, elcesa napit, niceic, etc. how to inform building control,liability insurance etc, what i need in place to get the ball rolling.
any help would be appreciated,
cheers guys:)

Google the small business advisory service they run a free course on running your own business everything from taxation to marketing if you want to do notifiable work in domestic properties you will need to register with a competent persopn scheme at the very least you will need £2 million in public liability.

Chris

First thing to do is sort public liability ins.
Start by putting small ad in local paper to get weekend work , get part p registered when it gets to the point your getting enough weekend / evening work start full time for yourself
I would not just leave your employer and start on your own without 'testing the water ' first.

cheers is there any other insurances i need? looking through the site(eg nic) it says i need to have jobs inspected to join but can i do the work if im not registered with them?

cheers is there any other insurances i need? looking through the site(eg nic) it says i need to have jobs inspected to join but can i do the work if im not registered with them?

Defo £2m Public Liability, that should suffice insurance wise.

You have 3 months to notify local authorities...etc, basically line up some jobs and contact a body to get them out.

All the governing bodies require different amounts/types of work to become registered, generally speaking you're prob looking at one major and two minor (technically the minor you can do without being registered you just have to prove competency).

NICEIC will prob want more from you than say Elecsa.

Also maybe i missed it but have you a Part P Qual? 2393 or EAL VRQ? Without it nobody will touch you, also all this is kinda covered by the course.

Hope this helps

Prior to competent person scheme you need to advise building control of all work that you do. For assessment as a domestic you need one notifable and one non notifiable. Try and do the main one at your own house.

Chris

no Part P Qual? 2393 or EAL VRQ, but will have by the time i start- full modern apprenticeship, 17th and 2391, is there any point in part p? or go straight for full membership?

no Part P Qual? 2393 or EAL VRQ, but will have by the time i start- full modern apprenticeship, 17th and 2391, is there any point in part p? or go straight for full membership?

You will not be able to do domestic without a Part P qualification period. So you need the C&G 2393, or the EAL VRQ.

With the Part P addition to the building reg's domestic installers should be 'Competent' hence the competent persons scheme, and the only recognised qual by these bodies that can supply you with this status is the Part P qual.

I'd suggest the C&G 2393 over the EAL, it's Lv3 and open book ;-)

this is the 1st time i have herd, that you have to go through this as well? can you please confirm, for me to start as a sole trader qualification needed: are modern app, 17th, 2391, i also need a 2393??? is this correct???
cheers guys.

Best thing to do is contact the various schemes tell them what you have and they will tell you what you need the EAL VRQ is all about the building regs.

Chris

this is the 1st time i have herd, that you have to go through this as well? can you please confirm, for me to start as a sole trader qualification needed: are modern app, 17th, 2391, i also need a 2393??? is this correct???
cheers guys.

To start as a sole trader you need absolutely nothing except your tools and transport.

But to be taken seriously and to work properly you will need a minimum £2m PL insurance, costs about £60 to £70.

For domestic it is easier if you are on self certification scheme for the Part P crap. I am with Elecsa, but you pays your money and takes your chance. Minimum requirements are on their website, have a look. Dont go wasting cash on unnecesary courses, do them later when funds allow. As long as you meet the minimum criteria to join one of the scheme providers, and you are suitably experienced, then thats it job done. Oh and dont forget to introduce yourself to her majesties finest at the Inland Revenue before they find you.

Take the earlier advice and stick at your job and fit this in, it is going to cost you about £1000 to get set up with Part P etc in your first year, and look at all the free advice thats around.

Good luck mate.

Reply to beginner in need of information, in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net