Discuss Best Part P Scheme in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

RILEYTHESPARK

Hi Guys im currently working as a commercial contract electrician. I am a JIB approved electrician with my 2391 and 17th edition. I am considering setting up my own company working on domestic properties for landlords. I just after some advise regardind compantancy schemes i.e. NIC EIC and wondering which is the best with regards to cost and value for money.

SO IF ANYBODY COULD POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION I WOULD A GREAT HELP.

Really depends on what is best for you NICEIC is the best known. NAPIT have their own exam which you take every 5 years so that your life long 2391 remains vailid with them:confused:.

Best thing you can do is get applications from all of them and decide which one caters for what you want and also look at the extra costs of submitting EICs etc.

Hope that helps

Chris

The NICEIC is the only one that appears to advertise, and try to get niches in markets across the country. They're also easily the most well known. If you're thinking of going into commercial at any point I would say go for them, as as much as Elecsa and Napit are good schemes, they only really started out properly when Part P came into force. A lot of commercial clients would see you as "just a domestic" spark trying to get better work, that's if they've ever heard of Elecsa or Napit.

These aren't my opinions, just what I've seen and heard for a while so don't shoot me down in flames!!

depends where the work is you are trying to get. for instance some councils wont take different scheme sparks on for work they will only use nic, maybee worth a call round your perspective customers

I'm afraid NIC seem to have a bit of a monopoly when it comes to public sector contracts.....

Exactly my point. They do plough a lot of money into advertising and getting contracts that stipulate only NICEIC electricians.

People shout and scream about this, but there is nothing to stop the other schemes doing the same, but they just don't seem to have either the enthusiasm or the means to do it. So I think it will be NICEIC for a long time to come yet...

Exactly. But it baffles me as to why.....

Maybe they feel that they can't compete as the NICEIC are the longest running. Which is silly, as if they don't start to get their acts together the NICEIC are going to pull further and further away from the rest of the pack. Maybe they haven't got the money, maybe they haven't got the right people in marketing.

Don´t the NIC have a stipulation that your company must be trading for a year (or similar) before you can register with them?

If you only really plan on working domestic, then i find elecsa are very good, though i haven't got a domestic comparison. I am going to start a new thread on who has used more then 1 Part P scheme

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes.

1.1 Conditions for Initial Registration
The enterprise shall:

have carried out domestic electrical installation work for not less than 12 months prior to making an application

http://www.niceic.com/library/B6003-130309-Rules-for-Registration-of-DI.PDF

:)

Not any more guys.
Their website is out of date. I phoned them up about it and they said they'd changed their policy as people couldn't afford to wait a year and they were losing potential sparkies to the competition (if you can call the others competition). Anyhow the bottom line is there is no longer a 1 year rule. Which must be true as I am with the NICEIC and have been a sparkie for about 1/2 an hour!! :D

My partner and I joined Napit just before Christmas - the reason why we went with them was because for a slightly higher fee we would both be assessed and as a result, would both be able to sign jobs off.

Since joining them we have had very little work but recently a friend put us in touch with a property developer who had regular electrical jobs. When we met him he had never heard of Napit and said he needed NICEIC electricians doing the work. We tried to explain to him that NIC weren’t the only scheme but he wasn't interested!

We found that NIC were prepared to except registered electricians onto their Domestic Installer scheme for the remainder of the 12 months for free. We explained to our customer that we would switch if he was to give us the work and he agreed - interestingly he asked why we hadn't joined them in the first place!

Fair play to Napit as they wanted to "educate" our client but as he is very set in his ways we didn't want to risk losing the work so we declined.

At the end of the day if your customer wants to use whoever then it’s up to them but in my opinion NIC are the most well known.

Gutted that we had to switch as I thought Napit were spot on - but it comes down to putting food on the table for my family.

richtersparty makes some very good and valid points. In my experience his case is not the norm, all the customers that I have also wanted NICEIC but once I explained to them that there are other clubs for Electricians they were more than happy to use me as an Elecsa Registered Contractor. The reason the other scheme providers dont push their names is down to cost, its not that they cant afford it, it is that we the contractors dont put enough pressure on them to do it. Unfortunately I include myself in that group.

But you need to choose the one that best suits you, they all have websites and downloadable info. And they all have their pro's and con's. Oh and just an afterthought Elecsa are owned by the ECA.

Cheers..........Howard

I am also doing my Btec Level 3 electrical installation home learning as i work offshore at the moment, need to get some more electrical qualifications, can anyone suggest any good c&g ones?

Reply to Best Part P Scheme in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net