Discuss Best way of fixing boxes to crumbly walls..... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

LewisM

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi I'm doing a rewire of an old victorian terraced house built in the 1890s the plaster and bricks are extremely fragile even with a hammer and scutch chisel the brick just crumbles away leaving no solid fixing, what is the best way of fixing boxes back square? I've thought about expanding foam but will that not expand and push the boxes back out?

It's hard to see from the picture but the brick is all jageded and in pieces.

PXL_20221101_152913611.jpg

A technique I've used in the past is to take a 12" - 18" length of batten, drill a couple of 4mm holes in it at the same spacing as the holes in a fitting, then use 3.5mm screws to attach the batten to the front of the box.
Offer this up to the wall, and nail, wedge, prop or any way else you can think of the batten flat against the wall. Mix up some mortar and pack around the box.

Expanding foam will grip very well, but make sure to use a low expansion variety.

CT-1 or similar might also be a good option.

Think I prefer the idea of bonding after priming with dilute PVA.

recently Done a few new sockets in a really old crumbly house and I used coving adhesive as an emergency from wickes and that stuff sticks boxes in beautiful and it was cheap as well
I'll give it a go, so just splat a load in the back then push the box in the it holds it firmly while it dries?

I'll give it a go, so just splat a load in the back then push the box in the it holds it firmly while it dries?
That is how I did it , make sure you scrap off any excess when its still wet as the stuff dries rock hard

Good box in with some adhesive begged off the dot and dab monkeys.

As all the above ^^^^

In the past I have used a couple blobs of grip fix to stick all the boxes in position then filled round them after with either bonding or drywall adhesive. This way you can get all the cables in then do the back filling all in one go.

Be sure to prime the brick first ideally with a very watered down pva mix.

Hi I'm doing a rewire of an old victorian terraced house built in the 1890s the plaster and bricks are extremely fragile even with a hammer and scutch chisel the brick just crumbles away leaving no solid fixing, what is the best way of fixing boxes back square? I've thought about expanding foam but will that not expand and push the boxes back out?

It's hard to see from the picture but the brick is all jageded and in pieces.

View attachment 103260
What about surface mounting all boxes and sleeve it up the wall or across the wall using PVC conduit

Spray it with water and slap some bonding in there.

If you want it to go off quick mix a bit of cement in with the bonding and it'll go off in no time.
Another vote for that solution. Bonding with a bit of cement in the mix.

Do make sure the box is set level. The mix goes off extra quick and hard, so there’s no adjustment later!

Either drill through the box and screw to fix - after the bonding has set!
Or pop out a couple of the knock outs. The bonding will come through a bit into the box and hold the box firm.

I hate it when removing a plug the back box comes with it, this resin will fix anything: Rawlplug R-KEM II Styrene-Free Polyester Resin 300ml. if you have not used it before be aware that the nozzles are one use only unless you are quick and have a few to do. 😜

Have mixed it on a board before now when all my nozzles have gone solid, just squeezed out of the tube onto the board and mixed with a disposable stick, not your favourite screwdriver.

Last edited:
Another vote for that solution. Bonding with a bit of cement in the mix.

Do make sure the box is set level. The mix goes off extra quick and hard, so there’s no adjustment later!

Either drill through the box and screw to fix - after the bonding has set!
Or pop out a couple of the knock outs. The bonding will come through a bit into the box and hold the box firm.
Bend out the nock outs this creates a much better hold . But again , bonding on a ground floor might not be a good idea . It draws in any damp

Reply to Best way of fixing boxes to crumbly walls..... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net