Discuss Bit of confusion regarding downlights in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a practicing electrical maintenance engineer but my background is electrical installation/inspection and testing however im a little out of touch (I do have 18th however!) don’t use it, you lose it and all that.

so my friend has recently had a EICR done ready for the imminent house sale but the condition report has identified a C2 on the living room downlights stating no earth to metal fittings. I’ve had a look and these are indeed metal covers (horrible brass looking things) however they are ELV. The covers come with no facility to bond them but that also defeats the point of SELV does it not?

I am torn as to what to advise, can anyone clarify the situation for me? I know running a 4mm single between each fitting an option and then back the the cpc of the incoming side of the transformer perhaps? The whole installing is RCD protected may I add.

cheers and sorry for it being so long winded!
Connor

Hi all,

I am a practicing electrical maintenance engineer but my background is electrical installation/inspection and testing however im a little out of touch (I do have 18th however!) don’t use it, you lose it and all that.

so my friend has recently had a EICR done ready for the imminent house sale but the condition report has identified a C2 on the living room downlights stating no earth to metal fittings. I’ve had a look and these are indeed metal covers (horrible brass looking things) however they are ELV. The covers come with no facility to bond them but that also defeats the point of SELV does it not?

I am torn as to what to advise, can anyone clarify the situation for me? I know running a 4mm single between each fitting an option and then back the the cpc of the incoming side of the transformer perhaps? The whole installing is RCD protected may I add.

Connor
Is it you doing the EICR????

if these are 12V MR16 fittings, they are usually not required to be earthed, and I'd query why they were given a C2 code.

Are the lights on one large transformer or does each light have its own transformer? If they have their own has someone cut out the cpc of the twin and earth feeding the transformers?

Is it you doing the EICR????
No, my friend had one done. I’ve just looked over it and obviously had a look.
[automerge]1576776376[/automerge]
Are the lights on one large transformer or does each light have its own transformer? If they have their own has someone cut out the cpc of the twin and earth feeding the transformers?
One transformer feeds the entirety of the downlights
[automerge]1576776462[/automerge]
if these are 12V MR16 fittings, they are usually not required to be earthed, and I'd query why they were given a C2 code.
Exactly, when I looked myself I was very bemused. Upon googling the company used they have 1 singular review of 1 star. Says it all.

Hi all,

Connor

Defno elv? Someone's not swapped out the MR16's and put in some luberly new lv LED's, using the existing cans?

Defno elv? Someone's not swapped out the MR16's and put in some luberly new lv LED's, using the existing cans?
Definitely normal GU5.3 lamps
[automerge]1576777627[/automerge]
Yes you’re right, I missed that.

No earthing needed at the fittings then. Whoever did the EICR is mistaken.
I thought as much, obviously had me confused. Thanks a lot guys

Reply to Bit of confusion regarding downlights in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net