Discuss Bought 32A EV Charger, need to Change CEE plug to a USA Range plug. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

pdunn154

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, I Bought a 32A EV Charger, it comes with a CEE wall plug. I need to use it with a 60A range recepticle which I use to plug in my welder. So obviously I need to change the CEE plug into a Range plug. There is no paperwork, no schematic. As the CEE has 3 wires Red, Black and Yellow/green stripe, first I assumed the red and Black are 115v each and the yellow/green was neutral. Perhaps simple as you can plug a 3wire range or dryer plug into a 4wire receptacle.
I have 2 concerns; 1. The CEE plug seems to be mostly EU countries As these are 230V standard, does that mean that one hot wire carries 230v, compared to ours where we have 2 wires carrying ~115 each in household wiring. Googling this left me slightly more confused about their systems as many are obviously different! The attached pic shows an adapter that seems to show that it can work, the only difference is that this converter is backward from what I need. I have the Nema 14-50R receptacle in my wall and I have that same 3 male pins socket on my cord. ( I guess the blue CEE socket is actually a female) Basically, I need to change the blue end to plug into the black end in this adapter.
2. Perhaps you can see in my attached photo that there was a lower amp orange wire coming from the charger "Box", that has just been snipped off when the factory installed the 3 pin CEE connector. WTH?
The Electrician I always use said he will have to come out and run some continuity tests to make sure, but he can't come out till after his Cruise in a week, but with the price of gas I would like this unit to work now, not in a month. LOL.
Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks.
ps. I should mention that this unit is 50-60 Hz so I think that is OK, and no motors so I assume a resistive load.

Attachments

• Bought 32A EV Charger, need to Change CEE plug to a USA Range plug. 111111111mennekes-to-14-50r_grande - EletriciansForums.net
    111111111mennekes-to-14-50r_grande.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Adding pics in reply, could not seem to add with editing

Attachments

• Bought 32A EV Charger, need to Change CEE plug to a USA Range plug. IMG_20220512_121310 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20220512_121310.jpg
    548.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Bought 32A EV Charger, need to Change CEE plug to a USA Range plug. IMG_20220512_121325__01 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20220512_121325__01.jpg
    413.1 KB · Views: 12
The green/yellow is definitely earth/ground. Do not connect to anything else.
The black is neutral, and the red will be the live, or 'hot' as you call it.
The device requires 230 volts between the red and black, which you can obtain by connecting across your two 'hots' of opposite phase.
This will work, but I can't advise as to whether it is safe.

The green/yellow is definitely earth/ground. Do not connect to anything else.
The black is neutral, and the red will be the live, or 'hot' as you call it.
The device requires 230 volts between the red and black, which you can obtain by connecting across your two 'hots' of opposite phase.
This will work, but I can't advise as to whether it is safe.
Thanks very much brian. Does the attacked picture look correct to you? I'm assuming I terminate the Neutral (white) of the range plug.

Attachments

• Bought 32A EV Charger, need to Change CEE plug to a USA Range plug. EV Charger Wire - EletriciansForums.net
    EV Charger Wire.jpg
    634.2 KB · Views: 7

Reply to Bought 32A EV Charger, need to Change CEE plug to a USA Range plug. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock