Discuss Brexit. We’re out! in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

@baldelectrician

The services industry when in the EU had unlimited access to millions of EU citizens which consequently drove wages down, in leaving the EU the EU will not in any way block access to their workers as it often sees financial gain across Europe as well as reducing unemployment rate which is a major issue in many of the EU nations, the UK now will only offer jobs if we have a shortage, this has 2 effects, it will increase wages as well as protect British jobs, this position that Brexit is somehow negative because of the service industry is unfounded unless you wish to enlighten me which I am all too willing to see differing opinions... the losers here are the EU and big corporations that used cheap labour, the winners are the UK with more job opportunities, better wages and consequently more money returning into our own economy.

I do not agree with unfair wage competition driving wages down but we have that already - look at the shops etc that pay such low wages people need tax credits / universal credit and food banks to help people.
The problem there was not the EU but the UK state promoting zero hours contracts and a low wage economy

The service industry is important to the UK, as I said earlier we can leave the EU but this will be detrimental to some industries-
  • Banking, insurance and fiance need common EU laws to trade in to and within the EU market- for example you used to have hassle taking money to Spain on holiday or taking it out the cash machine- that's not a problem inside the EU as there is free movement of money.
  • I was doing a job for a guy who was selling his house and moving to the Czech republic- I asked him why. His answer was that he worked for a software company making mobile phone apps and his boss gave him 3 choices (they said they thought the UK was leaving the single market) the first choice was to be made redundant, the second was to move to the companies office in Poland and the third was to move to their office in the Czech republic- that's your services market right there.
  • If a local train manufacturing company make a train and sell it to the Netherlands for example there is an agreement to maintain, service and repair the train after it is delivered where parts can be expedited across the single market with no friction. The other part is that the company will make just as much or more servicing the train than they did selling it in the first place

This is why the UK needed to stay in the single market and the customs union, this is now why Scotland needs to be independent and away from Westminster control.
[automerge]1580686933[/automerge]
As you will have gathered, I voted remain. I am sad we have left. It's been a long union, and i regret its passing.
You will know that Scotland generally voted to remain, hence wee Nicola's claim we were dragged out by England against our will. Thus, she now sees the chance for independence by selling the idea that we, Scotland, could rejoin the EU, if we have another independence referendum, free ourselves from England and the rest of the UK, even though this would make Scotland an "island" with no direct land link to Europe.
Scotland has its own part to play inthe UK economy, and to me, the idea of breaking away from UK is ill-advised and frankly stupid. Why break yet another union, a far older one?
Like the small minority of people who burned the EU flag on Friday, there are some idiots in Scotland who wish to tell our English and Welsh and Irish neighbours to **** off. These are the people who will ruin everything, and i want no part of such a conspiracy.
The puerile hatred of the English is a matter of extreme distaste to me, but I am pretty sure it is fomented by certain sectors of the Scottish people who have no intelligence, contribute nothing to the economy or society, and quite frankly are happy in their hatred so long as they still get their benefits. Yes, there are such people in the rest of the UK who have "hate" instincts, but you will not find many of them in proper society. They disgrace themselves abroad, and at home, and at sporting events everywhere. let's not bow to any pressure from such people. I may have voted "remain", but I will certainly not vote to separate my country from the rest of the UK. Division is weak, imho, and our United Kingdom is better that way...united.

I agree with just about everything you said apart from the fact that I support independence.

The fact is that if Scotland gets independence and we are not in the EU we will be treated (by Westminster) worse than bad.
Look at the way the Westminster politicians show contempt for Ireland, but as Ireland is a member of the EU the EU have their back.

As far as Nicola goes I think she wasted the last 3 years trying to prevent the UK carrying out an act of self harm when she could have sat back and let them fluff things up.

We are where we are and we have the option of staying the UK and becoming a low wage economy on the edge of Europe or becoming a full member

One final point
The EU did not refuse the UK any referendum and the UK could leave any time they wanted, the UK is refusing Scotland a referendum (but that's democracy Westminster style)

Whether you agree or disagree with independence you (I hope) should agree with the right of an elected Scottish Parliament to decide when and if to have a referendum

Last edited:
uk joined the EEC back in the day to sell goods and trade with only a couple of countrys its now gone behond that now its like a collective someting out of star treck the borg.
they where telling us how to run this country .
we where the only counrty in the EU that where told what to do why other countrys did not give a F&&k .We must be the whipping boys of Europe.
not any more . we are a great nation when we had are backs against a wall
we stood up with are heads up high .
and will do it again .
We traded with the some other countrys has you all know ..
so the EU you can keep the 1st class apples the straight bananas .
but will never take freedom.
was that from barns wallis.lol.

uk joined the EEC back in the day to sell goods and trade with only a couple of countrys its now gone behond that now its like a collective someting out of star treck the borg.
Resistance is in ohms- not futile :)

they where telling us how to run this country .
We had a veto and could block any law we wanted.

We traded with the some other countrys has you all know ..
so the EU you can keep the 1st class apples the straight bananas .
but will never take freedom.
was that from barns wallis.lol.

The nasty EU forced the UK to have clean water- oh the despair :eek:

I think the UK never felt part of the club.

Regarding the Scottish Indy issue.

I suppose I’m in a unique position within forum members that I live 4 miles from the borderline. Or passport control, given time.
I see advantages and disadvantages of each side.
We are a split United Kingdom already, I would rather see equality across the line.

Example. There is a hospital les than 10 miles from me, but it’s in England.In an emergency, the Scottish ambulance service would take me to the nearest Scottish A&E.... 40 minutes away!
I have already experienced this trip with a very pregnant wife, brand new car and a lot of potholes!

Free university tuition fees. Yes. Good idea, but should be UK wide. A Scottish student going to a Scottish uni gets free tuition. I know a few families who have transferred their kids from an English high school to Scottish, so when they leave, they are classed as Scottish school leavers and can get the free tuition.

free prescriptions. Again a good idea, but the nhs is always struggling for money (not for much longer, eh, Boris?)
A token £1 or £2 per prescription could fill a gap.

all my wholesalers are in England. Would I be trading goods across a national border?Extra taxes?

on the plus side, England doesn’t have minimum alcohol pricing. ?

Regarding the Scottish Indy issue.

I suppose I’m in a unique position within forum members that I live 4 miles from the borderline. Or passport control, given time.
I see advantages and disadvantages of each side.
We are a split United Kingdom already, I would rather see equality across the line.

Example. There is a hospital les than 10 miles from me, but it’s in England.In an emergency, the Scottish ambulance service would take me to the nearest Scottish A&E.... 40 minutes away!
I have already experienced this trip with a very pregnant wife, brand new car and a lot of potholes!

Free university tuition fees. Yes. Good idea, but should be UK wide. A Scottish student going to a Scottish uni gets free tuition. I know a few families who have transferred their kids from an English high school to Scottish, so when they leave, they are classed as Scottish school leavers and can get the free tuition.

free prescriptions. Again a good idea, but the nhs is always struggling for money (not for much longer, eh, Boris?)
A token £1 or £2 per prescription could fill a gap.

all my wholesalers are in England. Would I be trading goods across a national border?Extra taxes?

on the plus side, England doesn’t have minimum alcohol pricing. ?
and a higher/sensible drink/drive legal alcohol level. not that i'm suggesting it's good to drink and drive, but the current engish legal limit of about 2 pints is, IMO, sensible.

Independence for Scotland isn't going to happen because the UK has 4 nuclear submarines based around the Clyde . This would seriously compromise us as an island .The SNP are against nuclear arms .

I do not support independence, but I cerainly do agree that the democratically elected Scottish government should have the right to vote on whether or not to have a vote on the matter. I'm with you, baldelectrician, on that point. The idea that we might want a referendum but can't have one because Boris says no is ridiculous.
However, I am frankly weary of referenda and would prefer a period of settling down after the EU leaving debacle and hopefully some stability will emerge. After all, all the economic ills and woes of the last few years have been blamed on "uncertainty".

I also agree that there are some things that we in Scotland need to address, the tuition fees being one, and prescription charges another, as littlespark said. We do need to charge something for University fees, even if it is still advantageous for Scots or others who qualify, and we may have to look backwards here, to the days when grants were available to assist those who had insufficient income to pay the fees. That system was abused by the wealthy, but it worked in the main.

As for prescription charges, yes indeed, a token £1 or so would provide some much needed income. Not well? Been to your GP and got a prescription? Well, that's a pity, but pay your pound and do without a newspaper or something that day. In receipt of a benefit due to low income? Fine, you are exempt.

Also, free bus transport...really, a token charge for longer distances should be made. If you take a free ride from Glasgow to Aberdeen you will find a bus full of free-riders. Surely, if you are off for a jolly for a few days you could pay a couple of quid towards the cost of your journey. Personally, I have never used my "bus pass" on the buses because I have a good train service which I prefer and on which I can get a reduced fare with that concession card as it is more properly known. There are restricted hours, so all the pensioners don't clog up the commuter trains, which is perfectly fair and frankly very unlikely to hinder your travel. There are geographical restrictions too, also sensible. I'm no saint (no, really!) but on a recent trip to the city to have a slap-up lunch with friends, I didn't use my concession. If I am going to spend £££s on lunch, I can also afford to pay the extra £3 for a full fare.

Tel, the drink driving limit...that is a big question. I can't answer it as I don't know the stats, but I have some sympathy with the higher limit, not because I condone drinking and driving but because I do believe that the higher limit in England is more realistic. The lower limit in Scotland simply means that I don't have any alcohol at all if I am going to be driving, and maybe that is the way forward. However it is so low as to be able to catch some who wisely took a taxi last night, but are still "over" the following morning without realising it. I have a very accurate breathalyser at home, and if I have had a few the night before i use it to check my level the following morning...you might be surprised at your level even after 8 hours good sleep.

Thanks to you all for your interesting and measured contributions to this thread. It is very interesting to have so many considered opinons, and buzz I hear all you say, agree with much of it, but I don't think it was Barnes Wallis...more often attributed to William Wallace, which, strangely, is quite appropriate to this discussion!

The idea that we might want a referendum but can't have one because Boris says no is ridiculous.
said him that live in Spain ,and blowing the united states of Europe flag .
if scotland do gets the independants ,i will be standing on Hadrian's wall with a big jack hammer .lol.
within one day old Bonney we scotland will be bankrupt .and for the oil it run out .
they will be able to sell a lot of haggis to the world ,not. I'm with long shanks Boris .

get used to it. For the next couple of years, everything bad will be blamed on Brexit.

It's been like that for the last couple of years, people blaming Brexit for every high street store closing. Before Brexit they were happy that it was internet shopping that was to blame!!

It's been like that for the last couple of years, people blaming Brexit for every high street store closing. Before Brexit they were happy that it was internet shopping that was to blame!!
And extortionate business rates.. that's 1 of the big issues facing the High St. retail outlets, coupled with totally inadequate parking facilities.

As Scotland and independence has taken the thread slightly off track, I am struck by the complete absence of acknowledgement of the previous referendum where it was voted against. Again people have voted and it seems it is being ignored, Sturgeon wants another vote! On this thread it is taken matter of factly that there is or should be a second vote. This reminds me of Britains vote and the complete trammelling of that vote for three and a half years. Blackford was pontificating in H.o.C. on Boris being the despot denying peoples right to vote on indyref, whereas people HAVE already voted and the results are in. His own people have said no and he and others have the gall to point at others for denying democracy!!! Please where is the logic, sense or decency in such overbearing pompousness. Okay rant over;)

It's OK, we will accept refugees from the Trupmesque BOJO regime down soutrh when Boris fluffs it up big time

Boris- the man who could not get Big Ben to bong on 31st January who is preparing us for a hard brexit

The bonging of Big Ben is neither here nor there let's face it.

Reply to Brexit. We’re out! in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net