Discuss broken socket outlet in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

i=p/u

-
Arms
Reaction score
yo, went to fix socket outlet tonight, and what has happened is the wings inside back box has broken off, so faceplate wont screw back on.

dont want to try get box out as is tiled. has any of yous just put large screw right through back of box.or have a better soloution.. thanks

could be option durhamsparky, i was thinking maybe could just drivefew big screws through, what dangers would this cause, ive just taped it uip with do not use sticker on for now

well was hoping that, but has been tiled after box went in so overlapping it, was 3036 board and didnt want to turn off last night as didnt know what circuit breaker covers what.

nothing is marked and theres 3 60A boards covering house...

could do with one of them fuse finders,

Right, here is what i have done in the past, if one or more lugs have broken off. leave the existing box in the wall break off anything to do with the old lugs. get a new back box single will do, get a junior hacksaw cut out the side of the box including the lug and 20mm of the back part of the box. drill a hole through the back part of the box and plug and screw it into the wall through the existing back box, do this both sides and you will have two new fixings as you have the depth of the tiles you should be ok even though the centres are slightly narrower. sounds a lot of work but in reality takes approx 5-10 mins. it does work i know had to do this a number of times sometimes one side sometimes both.

Another way is to take a fast-fix box (the ones with yellow wings) and remove the yellow wing, cut off the part that grips the plaster board (the angled part). Then remove/flatten any remanding parts on the side of the broken back box. Simply fix the modified fast-fix wing to the box as far back on that side as possible and use some long socket pins. Its worked for me.

Reply to broken socket outlet in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net