Discuss Can anyone help me identify the 3 speed coloring of my cooker hood connection. Please look at the photos in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi
Can someone help me please?
I got a new cookerhood motor and I know the color coding for different speeds. But I need to find out the existing speed color coding to to connect to it. Could someone look at the photos and tell me which color is which? Its a 3 speed setting. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Can anyone help me identify the 3 speed coloring of my cooker hood connection. Please look at the photos IMG_20191102_153856 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20191102_153856.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 65
  • Can anyone help me identify the 3 speed coloring of my cooker hood connection. Please look at the photos IMG_20191030_132445 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20191030_132445.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 64
Did you look on the motor itself? There might be a label with speed wiring indicated on it.

If not, with the power isolated I'd remove the wiring from the switch and use a tester on ohms scale to establish which connections are made across the switch for the different speed settings. This can be done as a live test but it's dangerous and not recommended unless you're competent and with a risk assessment first.

Could you post a picture of the old and new motor information labels and their wires?

Motors of kitchen range hoods S80 Fime Best EB40MTA - https://repair-and-servise.com/stati-i-izobreteniya/engine-motor-extraction-s80-fime-best-elika-eb40mta.html

I think the original motor in the cooker hood was a FIME PSC motor similar to the one at the end of the link. The wires to it are black, blue, gray and white - red is unused and not brought to the slide switch. This is what we see connected to the slide switch.

This motor uses the four 'horizontal' run windings as an auto-transformer to energise the auxiliary winding (vertical) via the capacitor. See the motor wiring diagram at the bottom of the diagram at the end of the link.

The slide switch connects the feed L and N as follows to be read in the order Blk Gry Whi Blu:

Off
Fast L N X X
Medium X N X L
Slow X X N L

where X means not connected.

This preamble is to explain why it is important to establish how the windings of the replacement motor are connected and to which colour wire before connecting it in place of the old one - otherwise some damage may be caused to it. The new motor needs to be suited to the way the slide switche connects L and N to it for the three speeds.

Last edited:
images won't load..?
thx for the posts n help btw!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can anyone help me identify the 3 speed coloring of my cooker hood connection. Please look at the photos in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock