Discuss Can I carry out commercial work? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

A quick background to me and my question. I have been working for a commercial catering equipment engineering company for about 10 years and working mostly repairing appliances but also fitting new equipment in commercial premises, Sometimes running new circuits from the CU for new ovens/dishwasher etc etc. The experienced guys on the company got their electrical qualifications years ago (mid 80s).

Ive recently finished my City and Guilds 2365 Level 3 in Electrical Installations, Have my 18th Edition and have my 2391 upcoming.
Am I qualified enough yet to self certify in a commercial setting?

No matter how hard I search I can never seem to get a solid answer to this, and understandably this is because of lots of grey areas in legislation.

Im basically trying to figure out if I am now able to "officially" install new circuits (for example a common job in commercial kitchens): Install 3 phase CB in an existing DB, run SWA from the new CB to a 3 phase rotary isolator for a new Oven, Test the circuit, Fill out all the paper work and sign off the electrical installation certificate.

I always thought I had to join a competent persons body (Like NICEIC or NAPIT) but Ive started to read in some places that you only really need that for domestic work. Ive also read that as long as your considered 'competent' in a commercial setting that is good enough.

Its all very confusing. Any help would be much appreciated.

If you are electrically competent to carry out the work and to correctly test it and have appropriate insurance in place to carry out that particular aspect of electrical work I believe that is sufficient. Well done on the courses and never stop learning. Best wishes through these strange times.

what he said ^^^^^.niceic and co only necessary for domestic unless the client or his insurers demand it.

When you say self-cert, that is a term associated with self certification under Part P of the building regulations. If this is what you are referring to then Part P only applies to domestic dwellings, not commercial premises.

As an electrician involved in installing new circuits, additions and alterations, you should already be issuing the appropriate certificates for most of the jobs you do, this being a requirement of BS7671.

If you do not have software to help you do this, I think there are some PDFs you can use as templates, available to download from the resources section.

Reply to Can I carry out commercial work? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net