Discuss Cleating to concrete posts? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I was meant to be having a 600mm trench dug all the way down the garden but the customer doesn't want to wreck his new lawn now, I did say put it in before y lay the lawn but he wouldn't listen.

anway, to cut a long storey short, he said can I cleat it to the bottom of the fence.

my ugliest thoughts are no, not really, you shouldn't really fix to non or semi permed structures like that really.

whats your thoughts? I suppose if it's cleated on every post, it's going to be fairly well fixes, it's going to be covered in bark chipping a then at the bottom.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Clearing to concrete posts?

In the circumstances although it's a compromise I think it should be ok, or could a shallow trench be excavated immediately beside the run of fencing ?

Hi,

I was meant to be having a 600mm trench dug all the way down the garden but the customer doesn't want to wreck his new lawn now, I did say put it in before y lay the lawn but he wouldn't listen.

anway, to cut a long storey short, he said can I cleat it to the bottom of the fence.

my ugliest thoughts are no, not really, you shouldn't really fix to non or semi permed structures like that really.

whats your thoughts? I suppose if it's cleated on every post, it's going to be fairly well fixes, it's going to be covered in bark chipping a then at the bottom.

View attachment 29486
barking mad.

In the circumstances although it's a compromise I think it should be ok, or could a shallow trench be excavated immediately beside the run of fencing ?

Well, you could but I'd rather do the job properly as it will only surface of not deep enough.

Concrete fence posts are inclined to snap off in high winds,drilling them for cleating will only increase the likelyhood of that.Make sure you explain that to the client and that you take no responsibility for weakened posts breaking in future.

As pointed out drilling those posts isn't ideal. I don't see any reason you can't dig a normal trench along the fence line TBH. It shouldn't wreck the lawn if you're careful and you can always rake any stray soil afterwards.

Hi fella,if your customer did not listen to your initial advice,why would he listen to any further ideas?...:49:

....Anywho...there are other ways to affix conduit,duct or SWA to post & panel. Probably best not to drill the posts,but i have drilled the panels,in the past,an inch up or down from the center line,a foot in from the ends. I made cable/conduit clamps up from Stauff hydraulic mounts.which have two plastic half shells for clamping,and a steel back plate,you can fix threaded rod to.

You could make up "C" clamps,for your side of the posts,and i have also used my own method,where access or tinkering the other side is restricted. If you make up clip or clamp bases with 20mm of M6 threaded rod protruding,you can drill inch deep holes,and fix with Hilti cavity tie resin. This,or similar,is very durable,and maintains the integrity of the drilled item.

I will be honest,if he had ignored advice from myself,having asked for it...i would be telling him to get busy with a wind-up extension lead,and wish him a good night :bobby:

If you drill those posts you will either

1. Hit a piece of steel
2. Hit a piece of steel
3. Ruin the post
4. Hit a piece of steel:dizzy2:

Ok so I can't cleat it to the posts and I can't just lay in on the ground not secured...

Looks ms like it will have to be a trench.

Get yourself some Sky Hooks, job sorted!!!!

He said he will just trap it under the edge of the fence, I said no way, I said do it properly or find someone else... Ill speak to him again later.

When installing cu, sockets and switches in a pre-fab concrete garage I stick a bit of ply wood to the wall using no-nails and fix to that. Outside and under bark chip???? erm not too sure the wood would last that long? Tanalised timber might be an option?

I just dont trust no nails, its rubbish, I certainly wouldnt stick anything together with it or rely on it for a permanent fix.

Reply to Cleating to concrete posts? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net