Discuss controlling CH 3-port mid position valve with a 5V DC SSR in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I'm currently controlling a CH 3-port valve using a 5V DC SSR to switch a Finder 12V DC spdt 250V AC rated contacts eletromechanical relay.
The 5V DC SSR is a Meder SIL05-1A72-71D & has a coil draw of 50mW (10mA).
This SSR is controlled by an Arduino which has a max draw of 40mA per I/O pin.

Rather than use a relay to control a relay I'd like to use one SSR rated at 40mA @ 5V DC which could control a 240V AC 3-port valve (6W motor @ 240V AC)

Any suggestions?

34.81.7.005.8240 - FINDER - SSR, 2A, 5VDC | Farnell UK
perhaps, the minimum current may be too high for a 6W load

Thanks for the info but the above SSR seems to be limited to a max AC voltage of 240V; where I live I frequently experience a line voltage of 249V to 255V so I'm a bit concerned that the life of this relay may well be limited. Also the min output switching current of 22mA may be a problem as the nominal motor draw of 6W equates to 25mA @ 240V & 26mA @ 250V.
These 3-port valves have a motor that's designed to be stalled in the fully open position so the draw may be higher than 6W or it may be that the 6W quoted IS in this stalled condition; I don't know.
I also appreciate that this AC motor is an inductive load so on motor start the current draw may easily exceed the min current draw of 22mA

I found a similar EMR from finder - 34.51.7.005.5010 SPCO 6A 5V DC which has a max AC voltage of 400V & a coil draw of 38mA (just under the 40mA per I/O pin of the Arduino).
Although it's an electromechanical relay, it's the same size as the SSR.
It also solves my original purpose of not using a relay to drive another relay.

Thanks again for the info Richard, at least it pointed me in the right direction to find a suitable alternative to my present arrangement

Reply to controlling CH 3-port mid position valve with a 5V DC SSR in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net