Discuss Coverted house flat consumer box needs help? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Moved in to a ground floor flat of a house broken up into individual flats, only found two outlets in main living area (No bedroom and 1 double in kitchen plus double for oven).

I checked the consumer box and feel it doesn't look right, not an electrician just a handyman who recognises his level of knowledge and when to put my hand up.

Have pic not sure how to upload

Ernie
Consumer box.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't look good the trunking lid is missing leaving conductors exposed. The third circuit breaker is not compatible for fitting at that consumer unit.

The good news is you should have been handed the EICR for the flat certifying the safeness of the installation by law. April is the deadline for the LL to produce the Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) Have you had this? If not ask the LL for it. Its required under the ESPRS regulations which became law last year.

Doesn't look good the trunking lid is missing leaving conductors exposed. The third circuit breaker is not compatible for fitting at that consumer unit.
Thank you
The good news is you should have been handed the EICR for the flat certifying the safeness of the installation by law. April is the deadline for the LL to produce the Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) Have you had this? If not ask the LL for it. Its required under the ESPRS regulations which became law last year.
I asked they said they are having an inspection end of month, so will see what occurs.
I always like to know ahead of time what I am dealing with and if "their" electrician sees the same things you guys do. I thought it didnt look right but I am not in no way qualified to make an accessment

No, no, no, the LL must provide an EICR for new tenants not as and when he may feel like it. That is when you move in he should have already done the EICR PRIOR to letting it to ensure the property is safe to inhabit.

ESPRS
3.—(1) A private landlord(1) who grants or intends to grant a specified tenancy must—

(a)ensure that the electrical safety standards are met during any period when the residential premises(2) are occupied under a specified tenancy;

(b)ensure every electrical installation in the residential premises is inspected and tested at regular intervals by a qualified person; and

(c)ensure the first inspection and testing is carried out—

(i)before the tenancy commences in relation to a new specified tenancy; or

(ii)by 1st April 2021 in relation to an existing specified tenancy.

The exposed cables beneath the meter are not acceptable, they would need to be double insulated as well. You should have the EICR before you move in and then you would "know ahead" what you are renting.

Last edited:

Reply to Coverted house flat consumer box needs help? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net