Discuss Deactivating Optima XL4 house alarm in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

ergolargo

Hello folks

Can anybody help me with a problem to do with a house alarm? I need to move the control box to allow space for some DIY work, and I want to turn the power off and deactivate the alarm just while the work gets done. It is an old Optima XL4. I have an engineering manual still, telling me the following info under the heading 'Power Up Reset - Clear NVM', which I'm giving here because I have a specific question about what happens half way through the procedure:

1) Remove the mains supply, and cause an alarm condition by removing the front cover.
2) Disconnect the battery. If self-contained, the external sounders will now operate.
3) Remove all wires from terminals 9(PA) and 19 (SET +).
4) Fit a wire link between terminals 9 and 19 and apply power.
5) The system will now power up with no alarm condition. Remove the wire link and replace the original wiring, checking that the ATTACK indicator goes off.
6) The indicators will now show in response to each of the zones and circuits as they operate. Refit the front cover, checking that that the TAMPER indicator goes off. When ALL of the zones and circuits become clear, the system will go to Day mode and at the moment, the NVM will be cleared and factory set conditions will apply.
7) The system may now be programmed, tested and recommissioned.

So ... I'm OK with most of this, but my questions are:
1) After 'the external sounders will now operate' in step (2), will these sirens stop sounding after step (4), or will they keep going until step (5)? In other words, could I keep the alarm in the disconnected condition at step (4), before 'apply power', while the work gets done, without the sirens going, and then complete the other steps when the room is ready?

2) Is there a better way to keep the unit disconnected from the power, without losing the NVM code for example?

Thanks very much if you could point me in the right direction with this one.

Regards

Hello folks

Can anybody help me with a problem to do with a house alarm? I need to move the control box to allow space for some DIY work, and I want to turn the power off and deactivate the alarm just while the work gets done. It is an old Optima XL4. I have an engineering manual still, telling me the following info under the heading 'Power Up Reset - Clear NVM', which I'm giving here because I have a specific question about what happens half way through the procedure:

1) Remove the mains supply, and cause an alarm condition by removing the front cover.
2) Disconnect the battery. If self-contained, the external sounders will now operate.
3) Remove all wires from terminals 9(PA) and 19 (SET +).
4) Fit a wire link between terminals 9 and 19 and apply power.
5) The system will now power up with no alarm condition. Remove the wire link and replace the original wiring, checking that the ATTACK indicator goes off.
6) The indicators will now show in response to each of the zones and circuits as they operate. Refit the front cover, checking that that the TAMPER indicator goes off. When ALL of the zones and circuits become clear, the system will go to Day mode and at the moment, the NVM will be cleared and factory set conditions will apply.
7) The system may now be programmed, tested and recommissioned.

So ... I'm OK with most of this, but my questions are:
1) After 'the external sounders will now operate' in step (2), will these sirens stop sounding after step (4), or will they keep going until step (5)? In other words, could I keep the alarm in the disconnected condition at step (4), before 'apply power', while the work gets done, without the sirens going, and then complete the other steps when the room is ready?

2) Is there a better way to keep the unit disconnected from the power, without losing the NVM code for example?

Thanks very much if you could point me in the right direction with this one.

Regards

It's not clear why you are following the 'Power Up Reset - Clear NVM' when you don't want to clear the NVM

It's not clear why you are following the 'Power Up Reset - Clear NVM' when you don't want to clear the NVM

Hello

Unfortunately the procedure I quoted is the only one in the manual I have which includes removing the power supply. If there was a way of temporarily disconnecting the alarm without clearing the NVM, that would be good too, but the manual does include programming instructions in both 'customer' and 'engineer' modes, so I am not too worried about clearing the NVM, as I can reset it afterwards. But it would be easier not to lose it, therefore I thought I would include the second question too.

Cheers

PS Essentially the important question is, would the step 'Fit a wire link between terminals 9 and 19' stop the siren from sounding, or am I just stuck with the possibility of it continuing for the full duration (20 minutes etc.)

PS Essentially the important question is, would the step 'Fit a wire link between terminals 9 and 19' stop the siren from sounding, or am I just stuck with the possibility of it continuing for the full duration (20 minutes etc.)

Disconnect supply, disconnect panel battery, SAB will sound (They rarely last 20 minutes)
Your done until ready to power back up, then follow procedures as per 1st power up.

the link has nothing to do with the soundes. it's inserted to rest the nvm. you have 3 choices.

1. dis power and battery and allow external sounder to sound till it either resets or goes flat.

2. get a ladder and dis the external sounder's battery

3. dis the mains supply ( safely) and leave the panel battery connected. this will hold the sounder off for several hours

just go bob the builder, power down, take front of, reset, undo screws holding panel to wall, put on floor, refit front, take off ear protection

Thanks for these ideas.

I'm thinking that there is no way to completely avoid the external siren going off, assuming that it will sound when I start to mess with the external housing. The problem I have with the control panel inside is that one of the screws holding the control panel into the wall is hidden behind the circuit board inside, so the control panel will need a bit of disassembling before I can take it off the wall.

How does this sound for a plan to:
* Minimize the duration of the external siren; and
* End up with the control panel not attached to any wall, but with the alarm still usable.

1. Remove fuse for control panel circuit to disconnect from mains.
2. Remove housing from external sounder housing - at this point will the siren will start going off?
3. Disconnect battery inside external sounder - at this point the siren will stop going off?
(3a. Remove ear protection!)
4. Remove front from control panel.
5. Disconnect battery inside control panel - will the internal siren go off at this stage, or is the alarm now totally off?
6. Unscrew circuit board.
7. Unscrew control panel from wall.
8. Replace circuit board.
9. Reconnect battery.
10. Replace front to control panel.
11. Replace fuse for control panel circuit.
12. Reset alarm on keypad if necessary.

If anybody can see a problem with this, or suggest an improvement for reducing the siren noises, I would be very grateful.

Cheers

Take the cover off the bell box first, only internal panel should sound (if SAB unit)
then just ditch mains & battery power.

When finished do reversal...panel will retain codes and program in NVM

Is the noise a particular problem? Why not just remove fuse, open panel & disconnect internal battery, then wait 10 to 15 mins for outside sounder to die. With no supply, it likely won't be as loud.

Hi ergo.
1. If you just remove the fuse for the control panel your mains cable to the panel will still be live when you move it. Is the alarm not wires via a fused spare?
3. It may be easier to disconnect one of the bell or siren wires rather than the battery. All depends on bell I presume.

Take the cover off the bell box first, only internal panel should sound (if SAB unit)
then just ditch mains & battery power.

When finished do reversal...panel will retain codes and program in NVM

Hello

Thanks for that, but do you mean the rest of the steps are right if I just change the start to:

1. Remove front from control panel and reset alarm with keypad - internal alarm now silent.
2. Disconnect battery - will neither internal or external alarm go off?
3. Remove fuse for control panel circuit to disconnect from mains.
4. Remove housing from external sounder housing - at this point will the siren will start sounding?
5. Disconnect battery inside external sounder - at this point the siren will stop sounding?

then back to how I had it before:

6. Unscrew circuit board.
9. Reconnect battery.

I was keen to know what to expect at steps 4 and 5, as I am expecting an agitated lady-of-the-house to make an appearance at this stage. Also I want to be sure the external siren won't start going off again after its initial triggering.

Cheers

Hello

Yes you are right about it being wired on a fused spur, and I am OK with the main fuses on the consumer unit, in fact that is where the problem comes from, because the spur needs extending after new wall is replastered, so that is why the control panel just needs to sit out of the way for a while, until a new route can be cut.

Regarding the siren wires, that was what I initially looked at, because there are the four T, A, D, B 'external sounder' connectors in the control panel, given as the following in the manual:

T = -Ve tamper return
A = -Ve supply (0v)
D = +Ve supply (12V)
B = -Ve sounder trigger

These all have wires connected, so I'm not sure if this means that the external sounder is NOT self-contained. If so, I originally wondered if there was some way of putting a wire link (a staple or something even) into these connectors, and so disconnect the external sounder only without having to mess with the siren housing. I sort of decided this wasn't going to work in the way I expected though, so didn't mention it in the original question. But I would be happy to be corrected after all, maybe it would save a trip up the ladder to remove the siren battery?

Cheers

Cheers

you can release the circuit board from the housing without dissing anything so you can get to the screw behind.

lets do it steps....
1. removed bell box cover, disconnect battery or battery link, siren will not sound as system is not armed (only internal panel will sound)
2. removed mains & battery power at control panel.....Job done,

Last edited:
lets do it steps....
1. removed bell box cover, disconnect battery or battery link, siren will not sound as system is not armed (only internal panel will sound)
2. removed mains & battery power at control panel.....Job done,

Hello again

This sounds suspiciously straightforward and peaceful - I was expecting the bell box (this is the 'external housing'?) to start sounding even if the alarm was not armed on the panel inside. So I could change my first steps to the following and you would expect it to be OK:

1. Remove cover from external bell box - at this point the external siren should not start sounding, because alarm is not armed on control panel inside.
2. Disconnect battery inside external sounder - the external siren will still not start sounding.
3. Remove front from control panel and reset alarm with keypad - internal alarm now silent.
4. Disconnect battery - neither external or internal alarms will start sounding.
5. Remove fuse for control panel circuit to disconnect from mains - neither external or internal alarms will start sounding

Thanks if you can confirm I am not getting the wrong end of the stick here.

Cheers

Totally correct (99% sure the siren wont sound, being basic alarm will not be programmed for 24hr bell alarm, nor would a scb be fitted) the other 1% at worse, the siren is scb and would only sound until bell box battery is disconnected, matter of seconds.

Hello all

I'm going to repost the list of steps here, just to make it easier in case if anybody else comes looking for this thread. But if anybody can spot a mistake or improvement that would be very useful.

The full procedure at the moment is:

1. Remove cover from external bell box - at this point the external siren should not start sounding, because alarm is not armed on control panel inside.
2. Disconnect battery inside external sounder - the external siren will still not start sounding.
3. Remove front from control panel: panel tamper spring will release, so internal alarm will sound, so reset alarm with keypad - internal alarm is now silent.
4. Disconnect battery - neither external or internal alarms will start sounding.
5. Remove fuse for control panel circuit to disconnect from mains - neither external or internal alarms will start sounding.
6. Unclip circuit board, so it can pushed out of the way to reveal all wall screws.
9. Reconnect battery.

Thanks very much for all the suggestions.

Reply to Deactivating Optima XL4 house alarm in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net