Discuss Describing Power and Energy in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

kitana

Hi, I am a new female student of Domestic Electrical Installer course.

I wonder how I can describe Power and Energy the best way. My two guess are that in my words, Power is the action that happens when the voltage drives the electric current between two points in a circuit, and the Energy would be the amount of power used during a period of time.

Am I right there or have I misunderstood the whole thing?

I am reading that the power of the circuit is a measure of the rate at which heat can be given off by the circuit when electrical energy is converted into heat energy. This confuses me and I wonder if someone could help me clarify this to me.

Would be ever so thankful for kind answers. Take care.

Welcome to the Forum kitana :)

If you are on an active college course then may I recommend the applying to access the Trainee Forum where we have select Mentors and like minded trainee's.
I suspect this is coursework or an assignment and if so we do not give direct answers as such, members may guide you or nudge you in the right direction but giving you direct answers can go against you in a learning capacity and can mask areas that your tutor may otherwise see your struggling.

You're basically on the right lines. Power is the rate of conversion or transfer of energy, i.e. energy per unit time. Conversion into heat is just one of many possibilities for the power delivered by a circuit. For example a circuit charging a battery will (hopefully) be delivering most of its power into the battery while converting a minimum into heat.

Grab any decent physics textbook for a general grounding in the concept of energy!

Reply to Describing Power and Energy in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I will describe my problem in as much detail so you guys might be able to answer my question. I am never home, my Electric bill is $ 28 to $30 a...
Replies
Views
Probably more of a maths problem than anything else / managing to confuse myself. I have been asked to look at energy consumption of some...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie to the forum, and I'm hoping my question won't be too stupid. I'm in NYC (Manhattan), and have an apartment where a...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone In September 2023 I rented a beautiful 3 bedroom apartment, with all electric supply, no gas powered appliances. I noted down the...
Replies
Views
Hi, need some advice, I moved over from Sse in 2020 to Octpus energy. Whilst I was with SSE I was on E10 when I went over to octopus they put me...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock